Go Down

Topic: Which Forum? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

UbuAnon

Which forum is best for Linux? I am using Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and Arduino IDE 1.8.5.
I worked with Arduino on Windows, previously. Less than one year experience with anything Linux. Many differences to get used to.

pert

Unless you're talking about running Linux on the Arduino, the operating system has no bearing on which forum section you should use. First think about the topic of the post you want to make. Then take some time to read the descriptions of each forum section listed here:
http://forum.arduino.cc/
Sometimes multiple forum sections may seem relevant to the topic. In that case you will need to make the choice of which is the most appropriate.

UbuAnon

I didn't know Linux can run on an Arduino board, but it wouldn't surprise me. I once saw a project for a complete PC built on an Uno board, with all kinds of expansion modules and a little LCD screen.
I am simply trying to upload a sketch from the Arduino IDE to a Mega 2560 board. It is not uploading and that's what I want to ask the Linux forum about. I searched past comments about it. It is a common problem. Old posts talk about other versions of Linux than mine. There is a post about the problem as recent as 10 days ago. It didn't answer my question, but instead of asking the same old question again in a new post, I hope to understand the recent thread. This is the post I am stuck on:
https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=512338.msg3496741#msg3496741

CrossRoads

Here is Linux running on a 1284P board:
https://hackaday.com/2012/03/28/building-the-worst-linux-pc-ever/

I offer a Programmer to upload your .hex code from an SD card to a '328P, 1284P, 2560, and other  uCs.
Nick Gammon wrote the code, I made a standalone board to run it on.
http://www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17/
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

pert

The Yun, Yun Mini, and Tian all run Linux.

artisticforge

Which forum is best for Linux? I am using Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and Arduino IDE 1.8.5.
I worked with Arduino on Windows, previously. Less than one year experience with anything Linux. Many differences to get used to.
You are using Ubuntu and a recent Arduino IDE version.
which Arduino Board are you using?
what is the exact error you are receiving?
On Arduino IDE there is a button that allows you to copy the output of the IDE output, use it to post the errors here.

><>

UbuAnon

This is the IDE's error message, minus repetition (cut):

Code: [Select]
Arduino: 1.8.5 (Linux), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

Sketch uses 1462 bytes (0%) of program storage space. Maximum is 253952 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 8183 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 8192 bytes.
avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "/dev/ttyACM0": Permission denied
ioctl("TIOCMGET"): Inappropriate ioctl for device
ioctl("TIOCMGET"): Inappropriate ioctl for device
avrdude: ser_send(): write error: Bad file descriptor
avrdude: stk500_send(): failed to send command to serial port
avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
(cut)
avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer
the selected serial port avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer
 does not exist or your board is not connected

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Robin2

avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "/dev/ttyACM0": Permission denied
That usually means that you need to add yourself to the dialout group

,,,R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

UbuAnon

Is there a concise step-by-step tutorial for adding yourself to the dialout group? I am a little concerned about this hazard:

First add your user (you're called fred, right?) to the dialout group:

$ sudo usermod -a -G dialout fred

The "-a" is of vital importance. That says "Add the user to these groups". Without it you have "Set the user's groups to be this list". If you omit the "-a" by accident you will remove your user from any other groups before setting them to be in the dialout group. That means you will never be able to run sudo again. So be sure not to miss that one out, eh?
https://hackingmajenkoblog.wordpress.com/2016/08/24/diagnosing-arduino-problems-in-linux/

artisticforge

Is there a concise step-by-step tutorial for adding yourself to the dialout group? I am a little concerned about this hazard:

https://hackingmajenkoblog.wordpress.com/2016/08/24/diagnosing-arduino-problems-in-linux/

If you want to get on with arduino yun work;
Just copy and paste the cmd into a terminal window.

sudo usermod -a -G dialout "Your login ID"

If you cannot copy and paste that command, you are definitely limited in what you can do with arduino.

I would suggest that you set verbose in the Arduino IDE preferences.

"Show verbose output during  * compilation * uploading"

The Arduino IDE was telling you what the problem was all the time. Learn to read and understand
what the compilation and uploading output are telling you.

><>

Robin2

You have not told us what your Linux is running on.

On my laptop (the one I am now typing on) I just select Menu/Administration/Users and Groups

I am using Linux Mint and I think Ubuntu does it the same way.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

UbuAnon

Thanks, all. A sketch uploaded successfully to the Arduino board after entering the dialout command in Terminal. After restarting the desktop computer, in the Arduino IDE app tools menu, under port, I now see:

/dev/ttySo
/dev/ttyACM0 (Arduino Mega...)

I will also look into Yun, Yun Mini, and Tian.

zagroschoob

My idea is kali linux, I really like this operating system

ام دی اف ملامینه

Go Up