DC motor vs Stepper vs Gear motor vs Servo vs Worm drive vs Belt drive vs ...

Apologies if this has already been answered, but I was thinking a sticky describing the basic types of motors, how they work and what they are typically used for would be really helpful.

I am about to embark on my first mechatronic project and am unsure which type of motor I need. I just bought the Freetronic experimenters kit and it has a servo, so I know servos have a little board in them that controls the motor movement - coz I can see it.

I want to hold something in position (like a camera pan and tilt assembly). I'd like a continuous 360 degree pan. I also wanted a continuous 360 degree tilt, but am prepared to compromise to a fixed 360 degree tilt if I can go 180 degrees in either direction.

When tilted, I want it held in position. I also want the pan to remain steady. Do I use a servo? A stepper? Can I just use a standard motor? I have looked at the servo city camera pan+tilt units, so I can get an idea of how they work and what they use - but is that the only way to do it? And when they have multiple options, which one suits my application? And good grief that stuff is expensive - can I do it cheaper by using a different motor if the weight of what I want to hold steady and the expected load it has to resist is low?

In my head I don't know how the different motors work, either. If I have just tilted to 45 degrees - does the motor stay "on" to hold it in that position (I am guessing yes), or does internal gear friction hold it there (thinking about it that seems silly, so I am guessing no). Whereas I can see with a worm drive if I have panned to a position, it's possible I can turn the motor off now, as the internal gearing and worm gear mechanism provide resistance - but that's again, just a guess.

I would LOVE to go to a shop and just play with all these different things so I could handle them and see them in operation. If ServoCity would open up a "come n try" shop here in Melbourne I'd spend the next month there 24/7!! :smiley:

Not aware of any such shop though, so in the mean time, some basic, quick reference info would be very handy.

A table listing things like:

Motor type
Typically powered / controlled by (microcomputer / self / external motor driver circuit)
Basic operation (PWM, +/- DC, constant power applied by circuit / move motor then switch off)
Typical uses
Typical range of motion
Typical load type: dynamic / static, heavy / light, horizontal / vertical.
etc (?)

would be handy, as well as some of the more common gotchas / terms, like:

backlash - what it is, how each motor or system handles it, how to negate it
flyback voltage - what it is, how each motor handles it, how to negate it
etc (?)

I am obviously learning some of these things, but it's taking a lot of reading and trawling through forums and threads to glean the basics.

Thoughts?

Why stop here? how about Linear motor, Universal AC-DC motor, AC motor, Brushless DC motor...

sonnyyu:
Why stop here? how about Linear motor, Universal AC-DC motor, AC motor, Brushless DC motor...

Noone's stopping. Ellipsis (...) means "etc" - ie and the rest. If you have something to share, it would be much appreciated.

Advantages of AC motors.

1. For the same rating, ac motors are lighter in weight as compared to dc motors.
    1. AC motors require low maintenance.
    1. AC motors are less expensive.
    1. AC motors can work in dangerous areas like chemical, petrochemical etc.

Disadvantage of AC motors.

1. Power converters for the control of ac motors are more complex.
    1. Power converter for ac drives are more expensive.
    1. Power converters for ac drives generate harmonics in the supply system and load circuit.

We will see more AC motors in future since silicon is made of sand of beach and price is down quickly.
AC motors are green.

Cross comments since most persons here care about DC motor only.