Windows Vista question

Hey gang,
I have Windows Vista7 Home Premuim, SP2, all the autoupdate stuff.
User Account Control is turned off.

Why does it keep logging me out of the forum after a couple of hours?

I have Vista Enterprise at work and that never logs me off.

Thanks

It's not Windoze: it's the forum software. It automatically logs out my Linux box after a while, too.

That's odd. I have three Windows computers I use to access the forum. To the best of my recollection all of them have preserved my login.

I believe Vista originally shipped with Internet Explorer 6 (which is rather buggy). Which version are you using on each computer?

I have IE9 at home, don't know about work, can look on Tuesday.
It didn't used to log me out, has only been the last 2-3 weeks or so.

I cannot find anything in the forum profile regarding "auto-login expiration". There are a handful of cookies associated with arduino.cc. In my case, they all have expiration dates well into the future; the closest to expiring is the end of December. In other words, I cannot find any evidence that the site is the problem. My suspicion is that there is either a cookie related bug in the browser or a security setting that overrides cookie expiration dates.

Have you considered upgrading to Firefox?

I've tried them in the past - IE, Chrome, Safari, Firefox , used Netscape for a long time - seems like all would have a problem on some website or other, even IE on some of GrumpyMikes pages (Chrome seems to read those okay), IE seems to be most reliable for most things, so I just use that.

This autologoff thing is kind of annoying tho.

Off to bed ...

I've had a similar experience and was very reluctant to retry Firefox. I now use it for everything except: work (we have some ActiveX controls designed specifically for IE) and Netflix. I believe Firefox has good support for Netflix; I'm just too lazy to find out.

CrossRoads:
IE seems to be most reliable for most things

:astonished:

I never had it being reliable for anything. And if I managed to get it to work, it would not be for long. Chrome is the best browser I have used so far, so using that on all my computers. :slight_smile:

The problems I have with Chrome: Various applications try to sneak it in. If ever removed, it leaves the Registry in a bad state. In my mind, it is just a hair's width away from being a virus.

I have a definite "baby duck" bias toward Firefox, because I've been using it, and its ancestors, for over 15 years. So part of my negative reaction to Chrome is just its difference from what I'm used to.

But I recently decided to try it on my Windoze box because I'd read that it has Activex support, and I support a couple of systems using Linksys routers (which claim to have a "web interface", but actually have a "Windoze interface with an HTTP transport") and Vivotek IP cameras (which have a proprietary interface for video streaming that also uses an Activex control).

When I tried to connect with one of the cameras, Chrome decided to install Quicktime, instead of Vivotek's proprietary Activex. And it installed it really badly: it grabbed an outdated version from $DEITY-knows-where, complained that what it had was obsolete, then hung when I told it to go ahead and upgrade to the current version.

After a couple of whacks with the virtual sledgehammer, I got it restarted and upgraded. But, in the process, I learned that there's no mechanism for manually installing plug-ins, or for forcing Chrome to use the one you want. So all I can get from my client's cameras is a giant Quicktime logo, and there's no documented way to make it work correctly.

That's not even close to my own definition of "best browser": I'd rather have Firefox's "Sorry, I can't do that" than "I'll pretend I'm doing that, but I'll screw it up". That's what Microsoft products do.