SPI 0.96" Color OLED Display Wiring

Hi

First of all, im new at this stuff, so bare with me.
I bought one of these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPI-0-96-65k-Color-OLED-Module-For-PIC-AVR-Arduino-/130769001327?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e72709b6f

It comes with a test code and a data sheet witch is downloadable here: www.wide.hk/download/65kOLEDdemo.rar

Im in doubt regarding the wiring. I though it would be pretty straight forward, but when I googled it, I found this description:

It seems my display is similar (maybe a knockoff -they are both called SSD1331) in the adafruit tutorial they are using a 3.3 V logic shifter? What is that, I why cant I just use the 3.3V pin on my Arduino Uno (or can I?)?

Thanks

they are using a 3.3 V logic shifter? What is that,

It takes a signal and converts it between 5V and 3V3 in either direction. It is just a couple of FETs on a board.

I why cant I just use the 3.3V pin on my Arduino Uno?

The 3V3 pin has only a 50mA current capacity. Also if you power that chip with 3V3 the outputs connecting to it from the arduino will still be 5V and thus damage the chip.

FETs?

The ebay add said its Arduino compatable, but I still need a logic shifter then?

Thanks

FETs = Transistors.

A lot of ebay auctions say "Arduino Compatible". In many cases that just means that an arduino and it can be hacked together in such a way that it works. In many cases that hacking is just a level shifter, or getting a 3.3v arduino.

You will need the (logic) level shifter otherwise you will most likely damage the display.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Asger81:
FETs?

The ebay add said its Arduino compatable, but I still need a logic shifter then?

Thanks

Or a 3V3 Arduino. There are some, there will be more in the future.