Debounce.

Can we debounce a microphone? :slight_smile:

Why would you bounce it in the first place?

the output values given are spiking up and down in the serial monitor if it detects blow,.
generally the mic i have been doing is a blow sensor.
i want to make the reading high if it detects blow, and low if otherwise.
does software debounce gives me the result i want to?

...and does software debounce applicable in the mic?

What do you think debounce is?

as what i have learned sir, when i use debounce on switch/buttons, debounce eliminates the bouncing of the switches and making sure that one digital signal can be registered within the duration of a given time. am i right thinking this? is the debounce useful in my mic module?

Switch debouncing works because switches physically bounce.

Microphones don't bounce.

xxryan1234:

[quote author=James C4S link=topic=139446.msg1047272#msg1047272 date=1356670579]
Why would you bounce it in the first place?

the output values given are spiking up and down in the serial monitor if it detects blow,.
generally the mic i have been doing is a blow sensor.
i want to make the reading high if it detects blow, and low if otherwise.
does software debounce gives me the result i want to?
[/quote]

Debounce is a reasonable term for what you are trying to do, but this is not typical debouncing. Debouncing usually consists of waiting for an input to settle into a steady state so that transient changes are suppressed. In your case you would need a different algorithm, because in effect what you're really trying to do is smooth an intermittent signal. You will need to decide what constitutes 'blow'. Do you trigger on a single spike, or on a number of spikes close together, or what?