Arduino restarts my computer

Hey,

it happend to me few times already and I am really starting to hate it. I have few Arduino Boards (UNO, Duemanilove, Leonardo), and all of them sometimes restart my computer when uploading the program.
I have Macbook Pro 13" mid 2010. No other devices are attached. Anyone has an idea?

Regards

What is attached to the board(s)?

Nothing is attached.

mrkva:
Hey,

it happend to me few times already and I am really starting to hate it. I have few Arduino Boards (UNO, Duemanilove, Leonardo), and all of them sometimes restart my computer when uploading the program.
I have Macbook Pro 13" mid 2010. No other devices are attached. Anyone has an idea?

Regards

That is one of the most bizzare problem symptoms I can recall reading about. Don't have a solution for you. Possible problems:

Flaky intermittent power problem with the USB ports causing a hardware reset in your Macbook?

Lefty

It is indeed very weird. Sometimes the reset is immediate, last time the video I was watching started stuttering and than the computer restarted.

mrkva:
It is indeed very weird. Sometimes the reset is immediate, last time the video I was watching started stuttering and than the computer restarted.

That sure sounds like a USB power problem in the apple's hardware to me.

Lefty

all of them sometimes restart my computer when uploading the program

Only when uploading?

What about verify (upload is not performed)?

No, only when uploading. I don't think this is a software issue.

The primary difference between uploading and not uploading is software. Why would you believe that can't be the culprit?

I don't understand. It doesn't happen when verifying. It happens when uploading - during the 'uploading' part of the process.

The culprit might have something to do with the fact that the uploader sends a
Reset pulse to the Arduino, and there may be a fault in that ckt. Does the problem
still occur when powering the Arduino bd from an external supply via the power jack?

The time I had an Arduino bd resetting my notebook, there was a short from the
USB power pin to the external power pin. The PC would completely shutdown when
I connected the external power source to the bd.

Yeah, I know that might be an issue sometimes. But now the arduino wasn't connected to anything, powered from the computer. I guess it must be fault on the motherboard of the computer.

One of my notebook PCs does have a blown USB port, so there's always a possibility of
a fault there. However, I also asked

Does the problem still occur when powering the Arduino bd from an external supply via the power jack?

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,73748.0.html

...pass or fail?

mrkva:
Yeah, I know that might be an issue sometimes. But now the arduino wasn't connected to anything, powered from the computer. I guess it must be fault on the motherboard of the computer.

Not necessarily a fault, just inadequate power at the port. You are exceeding the specification. And it's not exclusive to your macbook either. I recently replaced the mobo in my desktop and was horrified to find it refused to start the next morning. It turned out that the Arduino was the culprit.

Nick_Pyner:

mrkva:

Not necessarily a fault, just inadequate power at the port. You are exceeding the specification. And it's not exclusive to your macbook either. I recently replaced the mobo in my desktop and was horrified to find it refused to start the next morning. It turned out that the Arduino was the culprit.

The arduino boards use a USB 500 ma thermofuse to help protect the PC from any harm the arduino could cause the PC. Also most all PCs have internal USB power protection circuitry to protect it's hardware from dumb user mistakes or broken USB connectors or cables as it would be way too frequent and easy a way for average PC consumers to cause damage to their PCs via plugging and unplugging USB stuff. This is not a commonly reported problem (arduino board causing PC to reset/restart and/or motherboard damage.

Lefty

this has happened to me twice with the Leonardo and Arduino 1.03 - once on a Mac Pro running 10.7 and once on a Macbook Pro running 10.8 - in the case of the latter the Leonardo was externally powered.

both times it was during the uploading phase - didn't get a kernel panic message, just a hard reboot all of a sudden

tunecrew:
this has happened to me twice with the Leonardo and Arduino 1.03 - once on a Mac Pro running 10.7 and once on a Macbook Pro running 10.8 - in the case of the latter the Leonardo was externally powered.

both times it was during the uploading phase - didn't get a kernel panic message, just a hard reboot all of a sudden

Uff, 'glad' I am not alone. I feel your pain!

I get it also, about 1 in 10 uploads causes a kernel panic and the Mac to restart.
Running a 2012 MBP retina with 10.7.5 and an Arduino Micro.
I have a Futaba S148 standard servo connected to the Arduino.
Happens during uploading.
Power for both Arduino and servo is coming from the USB port.
No other USB devices connected.

Anything that can be done?

SteamSurge:
I get it also, about 1 in 10 uploads causes a kernel panic and the Mac to restart.
Running a 2012 MBP retina with 10.7.5 and an Arduino Micro.
I have a Futaba S148 standard servo connected to the Arduino.
Happens during uploading.
Power for both Arduino and servo is coming from the USB port.
No other USB devices connected.

Anything that can be done?

Try it without the servo wired up. If the problems go away it means your servo is drawing too much current from the arduino/usb port. Servos have motors and can be a real problem trying to run directly from arduino supplied power, most find they have to power their servo(s) from an independent +5vdc voltage source with more current capacity.

Lefty