Interfacing with a salvaged laptop webcam?

Hi everyone,

I recently received a broken DELL laptop screen and managed to get the camera out of it. I noticed that the connector pins are labeled. It seems pretty straight forward. There are two pins, however, that I don't know about; 'MCSG' and 'MCGD'. There are 5 other pins: D+, D-, 3V3, and GND.

Inevitably I'd like to TRY interfacing to it. I have poked around in the forums here an I have seen a lot of negative responses about interfacing with arduino and cameras. I understand that the ATMega 328 is not powerful enough to do anything spectacular with digital imaging. I am only interested in seeing what I CAN do with this.

I don't have any funding to work on any of my other projects.. So I'd like to maybe try learning about the technology behind digital imaging hardware.

D+ and D- sound like usb signals. you can probably splice a usb cable and connect this directly to a computer, then you can make sure it works first.

you can probably splice a usb cable and connect this directly to a computer...

What about the fact that it is 3.3 volts? And what about the other 3 connections?

I don't wan to destroy the device by connecting 5 volt USB to it...

Is there any chip on the board? Maybe if it did we could check on a data sheet related to it and know what to trow at it.

What about the model number of the laptop it was originally from?

Is there any chip on the board?

Any chips there may be on the board are covered with metal shielding-cans.

What about the model number of the laptop it was originally from?

I only got the screen from it. All I know is it was a very nice new DELL laptop that a girl ran over with a car..

I would love to splice a USB connector to this thing and see what happens, but I really don't want to cook it with the 5 volts. Any ideas?

you can always put a 3.3 volt regulator and power it like that

edit: looks like others have had the same idea

you can always put a 3.3 volt regulator and power it like that

you could get 3.3V with a regulator.. the issue isn't the supply voltage, though. its that the signals from the computer will be at 5V, regardless if you regulated the supply voltage..

no they wont, thats not how usb works

"USB signals are transmitted on a twisted-pair data cable with 90[ch937] ±15% Characteristic impedance,[46] labeled D+ and D[ch8722]. Prior to USB 3.0, these collectively use half-duplex differential signaling to reduce the effects of electromagnetic noise on longer lines. Transmitted signal levels are 0.0–0.3 volts for low and 2.8–3.6 volts for high in full-bandwidth and low-bandwidth modes, and [ch8722]10–10 mV for low and 360–440 mV for high in hi-bandwidth mode."

Inevitably I'd like to TRY interfacing to it.

Providing it's not an Arduino, you interface it to. It's woefully short of grunt to do anything video or even image related. That's after you work out how to connect it......

Providing it's not an Arduino, you interface it to. It's woefully short of grunt to do anything video or even image related. That's after you work out how to connect it......

I'm not sure what to make of that...

I'm not sure what to make of that

It means that you have to connect this thing to a PC because it is a USB device. You can't connect it to an arduino directly as the interface on an arduino is not a USB master but a USB slave, just like your web cam. So you have nothing you can connect the arduino to.

So let's assume you get it going through your PC, then what, your PC won't give you video out from the camera so you are relegated to poking around in the innards of your camera looking at signals. Suppose you did find one that by some miracle had a video signal on it what then? The arduino isn't powerful enough to do much with this signal as it is going very fast.

Try a Gameboy Camera instead, they are much easier to interface to and have edge recognition built in.

Try a Gameboy Camera instead, they are much easier to interface to and have edge recognition built in.

Thank you. I'll consider that next time I'm on ebay and actually have money. :wink:

It means that you have to connect this thing to a PC because it is a USB device.

I understand that the USB port on the arduino board is a slave. Why cant it be possible for the arduino to imitate a USB master. Perhaps on two of the I/O pins? With appropriate circuitry and programming, of course. I don't think you quite understand how bored I am. :-/

The Arduino is a 8 bit microcontroller with 2K ram, the best it could do with a static image is download it in very small chunks and move it somewhere else (slowly) for storage. Video (the high speed data stream the webcam will produce) would completely swamp it. Its akin to trying to manage a tsunami with a bucket.

I don't think you quite understand how bored I am.

Well if you are that board you have the perfect project:-

Why cant it be possible for the arduino to imitate a USB master. Perhaps on two of the I/O pins? With appropriate circuitry and programming, of course

Best of luck many have attempted this.

Can you source liquid Nitrogen and a 6.0 Ghz clock? :smiley:

I think it would be good if you could get the number of the chip on that camera board or the model number of the laptop it was on. You can only interface this with a computer regardless of what you do. If you manage that you can say you accomplished something.

Look, it doesn't get any cheaper than this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nintendo-Gameboy-games-printer-and-camera-/140415276885?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_VintageComputing_RL&hash=item20b1671755#ht_500wt_947
yes the camera is 4 tone greyscale but it does have edge detection built in which means it can recognise objects and read text in the right hands, you can even use the printer, it uses a variant of SPI bus and there is plenty of data around
http://sophiateam.undrgnd.free.fr/microcontroller/camera/index.html
http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1236705976/0

I think it would be good if you could get the number of the chip on that camera board

As for the model number on the computer, I'll ask the guy I got it from if he knows.
[edit]I got the model number. Its a Dell Studio 1555[/edit]

I managed to pry off the metal shields..

[edit]I found the... briefing on the video controller chip.
http://www.sonix.com.tw/sonix/product.do?p=SN9C230[/edit]

And the drivers are right there on the same page.

Thank you for that. I hadn't noticed. Regardless, I still don't know how to wire it up. I know what 3V3, D+, D-, and GND are. However, what about the other pins?