personal weather station

Hello devs :slight_smile:

this is my first post here so hopefully i got the right section/topic.
In the following lines i will present a small project i did for the sake of fun. It's a personal weather station with a google chrome web app front-end. Basicly it's a PoE enabled Arduino Ethernet Board with some sensors (sparkfun weather meters, hih4030, mpl115a1, and ds1307 - unused at this time). In the future i will also add a distance sensor (to measure snowfall during winter month). How does it work? simple. The board with all the sensors sit's outside, in my garden. Every 15 minutes it uploads a set of data (temperature, pressure, humidity, dew point, humidex, rainfall, light, wind speed and wind direction) to pachube (now cosm). Also the board runs an instance of webduino and provides, via dyndns.org a "website" (actually an xml) with the latest (to be read as real-time) measurements.
Now, on the client side i have developed a html5 google chrome web app. this app has a background process which fetched data every 30minutes (or more, you can set this up). the fetched data is stored in localStorage. Upon clicking the icon, the front-end process is created and the data previousely fetched from pachube/cosm and the real-time data fetched directly from my weather station are displayed. My app is not very efficient nor is it very fast - it was never supposed to be - it's just a fun project i did in my very few spare time.
Attached is the code (schematics - fritzing, specifications, firmware and web app source code). Please use this carefully - my pachube/cosm data is inside so you can test how the whole system works. Please do not crash my router nor toss my pachube account :slight_smile:
If it is of any interest i can provide lost more details and data for anybody willing to build such a weather station. Also i will upload new versions of the weather station as i progress with development.
You are free to reuse my code (don't even have to mention my name or that you took it from me) under one condition: file bug report so i can make this "toy" better.

With all this said i would like to thank You all. I have learned a lot from Your work and all the posts here and in other forums.

WeatherStation.zip (1.92 MB)

Thank you for sharing this. I have been working on a very similar project myself. You may have just saved me tons of work.

leonardpitzu:

In the following lines i will present a small project i did for the sake of fun. It's a personal weather station with a google chrome web app front-end. Basicly it's a PoE enabled Arduino Ethernet Board with some sensors (sparkfun weather meters, hih4030, mpl115a1, and ds1307 - unused at this time). In the future i will also add a distance sensor (to measure snowfall during winter month).

I am interested in your Snow Fall sensors - I have a personal weather site at http://weather.crowe.co.nz and would like to know about snowfall, hail, sleep, rain and fog.

Do you have any data on capturing snowfall?

We don't get much snow here but it is still usefull for me to learn.

Cheers

Chris

iisfaq:

leonardpitzu:

In the following lines i will present a small project i did for the sake of fun. It's a personal weather station with a google chrome web app front-end. Basicly it's a PoE enabled Arduino Ethernet Board with some sensors (sparkfun weather meters, hih4030, mpl115a1, and ds1307 - unused at this time). In the future i will also add a distance sensor (to measure snowfall during winter month).

I am interested in your Snow Fall sensors - I have a personal weather site at http://weather.crowe.co.nz and would like to know about snowfall, hail, sleep, rain and fog.

Do you have any data on capturing snowfall?

We don't get much snow here but it is still usefull for me to learn.

Cheers

Chris

Yeah, snowfall sensor i just added today. I've used a SHARP GP2Y0A02YK0F IR distance sensor. I have added a calibration function (i've extended the web interface) and set the current (summer) ground level as 0. Everything above it is... well, snow. As for the data... i'll have to wait for the summer. For rain i use a tipping bucket. Fog/hail are not on the table right now. My area has almost no fog throughout the year. Hail... i'm searching for an option. Right now i am working on a lightning strike counter. I'll post updates as i will implement more functions.
What do You use for sky conditions? Which sensors are You using?

G-day,
Leo

leonardpitzu:
What do You use for sky conditions? Which sensors are You using?

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I am using a Cloud Sensor from Aurora Eurotech

This is a great device as it tells me if it is clear or cloudy (or partly cloudy), and I have used it along with my other weather station data to detemine if it is drizzling, raining, snowing etc...

Chris

Hi Leonardo,
I read with interest your post regarding your weather station, it is very similar to a project I am currently working on, described here: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,108047.0.html. I am currently sourcing the components to begin prototyping, so any advice will be of great help :slight_smile:
Cheers
A

WOW EXTREMEEELY AWESOME PROJECT AND IT'S DONE!
CONGRATULATION TO YOU!

IS THERE ANY NOTE STEP BY STEP AND THE PICTURE YOU BUILD IT?

Hi Leonard.
I am developing a very similar project to yours, and would appreciate any further details/ specs or code you might be willing to share?
Cheers
A

sorry for the delay
here you go
http://leonerd.ro/
reuse it as you please but please don't crash my station and report back any bug/problems You find.

cheers,
Leo