Interfacing Arduino with Garageband.

Hi Everyone,

I really need some help.

For a project I need to control 4 seperate tracks in a sound editing software such as garageband.

The idea is that when a person sits on a pressure pad they hear a conversation. There will be 4 of these conversations and each will be activated by a pressure pad.

My aim is to have each of these conversations as a seperate track in garageband all playing simultaneously, all on mute, then when the person sits on the pressure pad it takes off mute so the sound can be heard. Then if another person sits on another pressure pad another track is audible as well as the initial one, up to a maximum of 4 conversations.

My questions are...

Is this possible?
How can I get an arduino to interface with garageband?

I'm really new to arduino so any pointers would be very gratefully recieved. I've been looking at possibilities for ages now and just can't find a good answer. So far I have looked at firmata (confusing) midi (still not sure) and many other options.

Please help me out!

Many thanks!

D

My aim is to have each of these conversations as a seperate track in garageband all playing simultaneously, all on mute, then when the person sits on the pressure pad it takes off mute so the sound can be heard.
Is this possible?
How can I get an arduino to interface with garageband?

Depends on garageband. Is garageband able to accept input from the serial port? If so, then you can do what you want to. If not, then no, you can't do what you want to. Post a link to garageband, if you need help determining it's abilities to read from/write to the serial port.

Hey

I guess you can because I found this tutorial...

http://itp.nyu.edu/physcomp/Tutorials/MusicalArduino

But I just don't get how I would make the tracks mute and unmute.

Thanks for the help though...

You appear to be designing an arse-activated midi controller. You’d send a specific midi message and a specific midi note to mute/unmute a specific mixer channel.

Hi dickon,

I came across this post looking for simliar answers as you (Using a sersor to mute different tracks). The itp link doesn't work anymore. So I was wondering if you ever cama across a solution to this. I'm a bit stuck...