interfacing arduino with a digital caliper

For those who are interested in interfacing Arduino with a cheap digital caliper I have placed a short project description under

Great work, thanks for sharing.

What does the output looks like?
value in which units?

The output which appears on the serial monitor is exactly the same as you read on the caliper's LCD. It is the caliper's measurement in mm, with 2 decimals, e.g. 4.52
The code provided works only with the caliper set in mm mode. With the caliper in inch mode the code needs to be slightly modified.

regards

If you switch mode can that be seen on the interface?

In the case of my caliper none of the 24 data bits codifies for inch or mm mode, so I guess there is no possibility of automatic detection of the mode.

Thanks for testing

hi
this is exactly what I am looking for, tried it, doesn't do anything for me, no serial output at all.
I am using bc550c transistors.
I have no clue what is wrong.

@heng1
what calliper are you using?
picture?

here is a photo

Question: what practical use does this have....

I can't think of a need to do that right now, but mine is one of those: I might give it try just for the heck of it.

Question: what practical use does this have....

You could make a very accurate milling table, positioning with 2 callipers X and Y could be double fun :wink:

Hi,
We're new to arduino. We are currently making a dimension test fixture with 17 measuring points by using standard digital dial gauges. These gauges are very similar to calipers and also have a serial output. Would Arduino be suitable to read out all 17 gauges at once? We are in the process of drawing up the basic requirements of our fixture and are curious whether an Arduino based solution is up to this task.
TIA!

Timo Voorhuis

Hi, I am trying to create a digital readout display for my boxford lathe using two calipers one on the bed and one on the cross slide.
I have copied your text and my caliper interfaces perfectly thanks for the great coding I have tried to add a second pair of calipers but have failed miserably could you suggest how it could be done so that caliper one displays on line one and caliper 2 displays on line 2. I have managed to make line one of my 16x2 lcd read as follows. Bed 0.55 mm being bed as description 0.55 being the caliper measurement and mm obviously millimeter's and line 2 show C/slide 0.55 mm but I can't add to the coding to read from the second caliper I have defined data and clock pins for caliper 1 and caliper 2 and defined them as inputs but I can't get the read command to work for caliper number 2 can you please help/

thanks for the great code and in anticipation

I am getting some noise on the lines. Somone had posted a link to change the code to include the units i.e. mm or inch in bit 24.

My Harbor Freight calipers seems to have noise that mixes up bit 24 when the reading is changed. Anyone have noise issues?

Ddodge40:
I am getting some noise on the lines. Somone had posted a link to change the code to include the units i.e. mm or inch in bit 24.

My Harbor Freight calipers seems to have noise that mixes up bit 24 when the reading is changed. Anyone have noise issues?

Also here

No longer ALSO THERE.

@Ddodge40

Other post/duplicate DELETED
Please do NOT cross post / duplicate as it wastes peoples time and efforts to have more than one post for a single topic.

Continued cross posting could result in a time out from the forum.

Could you take a few moments to Learn How To Use The Forum.
It will help you get the best out of the forum in the future.
Other general help and troubleshooting advice can be found here.