ATMega1284p new chip fuse selections in AVR Studio 4.13

Hi
I'm using AVR Studio 4.13 still and I was setting fuses for a brand new ATMega1284p chip.
Should I turn off JTAG operation? ISP has been enabled. Brownout is set for 2.7 volts
How large of a bootloader should I select? I selected 8.0Mhz - crystal with the longest startup delay.
Will these setting work? Does anyone have a opinion on what I fuses I should select.
This is my first time setting fuses to use an AVR for Arduino use.
Thanks
Don

Is there a reason you don't want to go with 16MHz? If not, there is a bootloader available.

I didn't see 16Mhz to pick from that is the crystal I plan to use with the 1284p. I saw 3.0 to 8.0 and at the bottom it had 8.0 I wasn't sure if that meant 8.0 Mhz and above. I could try to include a picture of the selection box..

The Bobuino files are 16Mhz. I think the rest of the boards listed on the below site maybe also but Im not positive.

There are a few threads recently about using the 1284p chip and fuse selections. Here is one http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,139671.135.html

Before you load the bootloader don't I have to set fuses in the brand new ATMega1284p I got from Mouser.
All chip come running with internal oscillators correct?

Thanks I'll read that over I appreciate your replies Don

Should I turn off JTAG operation?

Yes, unless you were planning on experimenting with JTAG debugging.

How large of a bootloader should I select?

Which bootloader are you planning on using? Optiboot is 512 bytes, and the minimum bootloader size is 1K. The stk500v2 bootloader is 8k...

I was planning on using Optiboot with a 16 Mhz crystal. I've used JTAG with AVR Assembler projects I didn't know it was available to with Arduino.

I didn't know [JTAG] was available to with Arduino.

It isn't "available." But it is "possible." You would have to use a debugger other than the arduino IDE, an add-on JTAG device, and some sort of kludge to get the jtag signals from their pins to the standard JTAG connector.

JTAG is also possible on the arduino MEGA boards. The fact that you don't hear of more people trying to get it working is an interesting contrast to the frequent complaints of "no debugging support."

I use to use ICE200 with the AT90S2313 and the AT90S8515. I purchased a JTAGICE from ebay and loved how it how it worked with AVR Studio. So will the 1284p work better with a resonator then I was reading over a thread you guys where working on using 16 Mhz crystals with Opiboot.

I've only used '1284P with 16 MHz crystal.

Here are the fuse settings from boards.txt, pins_arduino.h, and bootloader file

bobuino.name=Bobuino
bobuino.upload.protocol=arduino
bobuino.upload.maximum_size=130048
bobuino.upload.speed=115200
bobuino.bootloader.low_fuses=0xff
bobuino.bootloader.high_fuses=0xde
bobuino.bootloader.extended_fuses=0xfd
bobuino.bootloader.path=optiboot
bobuino.bootloader.file=optiboot_atmega1284p.hex
bobuino.bootloader.unlock_bits=0x3F
bobuino.bootloader.lock_bits=0x0F
bobuino.build.mcu=atmega1284p
bobuino.build.f_cpu=16000000L
#bobuino.build.core=arduino:arduino
bobuino.build.core=standard
bobuino.build.variant=bobuino

pins_arduino.h (6.21 KB)

optiboot_atmega1284p.hex (1.47 KB)

The main problems in the thread talking about crystals and serial issues was that the crystal pins need to be shielded from the serial pins. In short, have a ground ring around the crystal/capacitor circuit and have the crystal as close to the chip as possible. Atleast that is my take on it.

Do not use low fuse = 0xFF fuse with 1284p (low power oscillator). Do use "Full Swing Oscillator" setting instead.

So its just my hardware that the fuses work correctly for? I must have the golden touch.

cyclegadget:
The main problems in the thread talking about crystals and serial issues was that the crystal pins need to be shielded from the serial pins. In short, have a ground ring around the crystal/capacitor circuit and have the crystal as close to the chip as possible. Atleast that is my take on it.

My take away from the people having the problems was that the fuse byte change seemed to be the most effective and simple solution. I wasn't seeing the problem on my Boburino 1284P board but changed the fuse setting just as a precaution.

Lefty

CrossRoads:
So its just my hardware that the fuses work correctly for? I must have the golden touch.

You are indeed the Jedi-fencer of 1284P PCB designs. :smiley:

Lefty

..beginner's luck, maybe :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Right, so I can take this simple "island of holes" board, wirewrap it up, bring in power via an FTDI module, bootload it via an AVR ISP MKii, then download a sketch via the FTDI module, and I'm the only one in the whole forum able to get this to work?

Chip is date coded 1050.

Here's my 1284 board files and the entry from boards.txt. Maybe there's something different about my bootloader file?

optiboot_atmega1284p.hex (1.47 KB)

pins_arduino.h (6.21 KB)