.net based Arduino Sketch Editor

it's interesting that just like a discussion in US politics of topics considered Democratic, Republicans will veer to bringing up Clinton when something becomes uncomfortable to accept. I've seen MS sympathizers veer to bringing up Google in the same way. It's a strange phenomenon and I've now seen it in a number of .NET discussions.

Maybe a group think thing or maybe the conversation stepped outside the comfort zone of one side but either way, it definitely is not a sign of an independent thinker.

regarding #3:

3 – Give some taste of the open source to the windows users (open source is not just Linux and Un*ix or 100% portable software)

would it not have been better to show them how working with an existing open source project enables everyone to enjoy the rewards? Or is your interest in open source personal satisfaction of some sort?

You really should have just stopped before the list of why you're doing this .NET Arduino project because it now looks like you are motivated because of its tie to Windows.

4 – Open the mind of the people that I work with to the joy of open source

Creating your own project does not show anybody the joy of open source unless you get someone to help. That's an interesting way to attempt to show your coworkers the joy of open source when you have no idea if anybody will help you. Sorry but it sounds like a fake and reactionary response and not very well thought out at the very least.

Software is in fact a religion but I'm agnostic! (sorry about that)

So you think software is a religion and you want to continue to spread the belief that MS .NET is legal to use without a Microsoft license? You obviously do not really want to put this back on topic.

Dougl,

You still seem to think you have some right to dictate what someone else does with their time. You don't. If you think he's wasting his time, courting a law suit from Microsoft or whatever then fine, you've warned him; now you can walk away having done your civic duty and forget about this (to you) worthless project.

And it's open source even if only one person works on it as long as they're making the source available for other people to use if they wish. Remind me again how many people worked on the Linux kernel right at the very beginning?

Andrew

You still seem to think you have some right to dictate what someone else does with their time. You don't. If you think he's wasting his time, courting a law suit from Microsoft or whatever then fine, you've warned him; now you can walk away having done your civic duty and forget about this (to you) worthless project.

Do you people even read any of my posts? I'm talking about those who keep twisting this into an anti-Microsoft, anti-Google, hate this, hate that type of junk. Nowhere have I ever stated what anyone should do with there time or that they should not work on this project, or any project. And I've stated at least a couple times that the issue is with people in this forum stating or believing that this is in anyway a cross platform project. That's it. And my comments of other languages were in the context of their cross platform capabilities and legalities so where that sideways comment about Python came from is another amazing stretch of someones imagination. Once again, do what you want, just don't go saying things that are not true about what the project is, it a Windows-only Arduino IDE. That's it.

And it's open source even if only one person works on it as long as they're making the source available for other people to use if they wish. Remind me again how many people worked on the Linux kernel right at the very beginning?

Dude, read the context of the comment! GAWD! I'm sure Linus was doing the Linux kernel to give his buddies "a taste of what open source is". Yeah, that's the ticket, he was so into showing off this open source stuff to his friends that he started a kernel. Get real. Someone needs to pass out the ADD and/or ADHD pills.

FYI - here's a nice little quote from Microsoft on .NET and Mono and MS patents made by Microsoft President Bob Muglia -

There is a substantive effort in open source [sic] to bring such an implementation of .Net to market, known as Mono and being driven by Novell, and one of the attributes of the agreement we made with Novell is that the intellectual property [sic] associated with that is available to Novell customers.

I can now only imagine how this is somehow going to be twisted into something tied to Apple or some other unrelated issue.

LOL: really I don't have patience for this... I just don't know if I want to give up or just Laugh?

I don't get your point? and I don't want to any more?

I was just looking to gtk# and then to wxNet (because of look and feel) then before i read this post? for one β€œsecond” tough that? Maybe if I just go with the ECMA part I will be ok? but no, this is FUD actually?

Going to play my guitar at 35 years old its simpler... LOL

It looks like you are doing a good job. Personally, I wouldn't be using Arduino at all if it weren't multi-platform. Anything .net is of no interest to me.

I'm not crazy about the editor in the IDE and I use BBEdit for most of my projects.

Curs0r: (and others who need to know)
I had the problem that Scilex.dll fired an exception although it was in System32.
Problem as solved quite simple: I only needed a reboot (could have thought of that earlier) - maybe some other people have the same problem (Vista x64).

So i have had my first glance at the IDE: GREAT WORK! Keep it up and dont let yourself distracted!

I've uploaded an installer for the 0.1.0015 alpha version of the sketch editor at

http://code.google.com/p/skedit/downloads/list

I've just tested the installer in my machines. so if you find any problem or bug just drop me a note or a bug report.
This version needs winAVR installed: http://winavr.sourceforge.net/

Disclaimer:

Sketch Editor is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

See the GNU General Public License for more details: Licenses - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation

The are some bugs in the current version due to some changes in the working directory.
I'am preparing another release soon

[Edit]I've uploaded a small update to google code: Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting.

[Edit]I will start a major code review today before i release 0.1.0015.4 alpha (version 0.1.0015.3 was another small update fix)[/Edit]

Pedro

I'm an experienced software developer who might be interested in some basic emulation for step-through debugging. I'm really just looking into how feasible this project might be (beyond the obvious simulation part).

Does anyone know how to get avr-gcc/g++ to output debug information? Everywhere I look says it's not supported (yet). Without this information, this is definitely not do-able.

Yes AVR gcc provides debug information in coff format and into the elf... i've step debug avr gcc code in AvrStudio with the built in simulator.

There is also an option to use gdb and simulavr but simuavr is outdated (and i never tryed it)

Just found another conversation http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1196617535/0 that talks about how to do exactly that. It looks a little stale, but if I can get it to debug, I'll have saved myself a lot of work! :wink:

Curs0r, the editor looks great!

Is there a todo list for this project? What are the next steps?

There might be some developers out there (including me) who want to support this project. Maybe you can explain your classes somewhere and add some comments to the source code so it is easier for others to participate?

But all in all it looks very nice! Thank you.

..anything new on development?

I love this program and I don't understand why this thread has turned into some sort of hate thread aimed at pissing off curs0r and MSFT, some one said they liked Arduino because it is multi-platform, .NET isn't on linux so I don't care attitude! This is completely stupid, many people use Windows and .NET makes more complex projects like this accessible to many developers to tackle, even if you don't use this your self it adds awareness to how sucky the Processing IDE currently is, after all it was never designed for this sort of use.

I will take this opportunity to thank curs0r for the great program and for his time. And I would also like the people who used this thread to rant about MSFT and .NET to feel ashamed of themselves for dropping to such a disgusting level.

Regards,
/me

I will take this opportunity to thank curs0r for the great program and for his time. And I would also like the people who used this thread to rant about MSFT and .NET to feel ashamed of themselves for dropping to such a disgusting level.

First off, I agree with you on these points - curs0r has done a nice job for his platform; there isn't any reason to get hyper-political on these threads.

With that said, I do hope for a better editor that is multi-platform; if it can be made to work under Mono, that would be great; personally, I would prefer to see something done in Python with wxWindows (or gtk), as that would be much more cross-platform than just about anything outside of Java.

I can understand the "hate" for M$, though - for me, it is about their business practices, but more than that, it is about thier closed source nature; I have been burned more than once by closed source, and have attempted to avoid it ever since I discovered Linux and the GPL in 1995 - it just makes the best sense, much like back when I started with computers, typing in BASIC programs from magazines; I could see the source, see any bugs, fix them, pass those fixes on, and learn from the code - this is the way computers should be used. Closed source is artificial scarcity, IMHO.

With that said, though - if there really is a call for a better editor that is completely cross-platform, someone will make it...

:slight_smile:

I can fully understand the hate for Microsoft I was just angered by people piggy backing it onto this post, eventually it would seem de-motivating curs0r.

I was just angered by people piggy backing it onto this post, eventually it would seem de-motivating curs0r.

Speaking of which... this thread seems to be a little dead, and the Sketch Editor I discovered yesterday dates from months back... I kind of like this editor... :-[

F

Personally I would love to see this editor/IDE be further developed. I'm not really fond of the standard Arduino Sketch editor.

Yea....

So Curs0r, any updates? Your last google code update was Jul 2009.