Arduino UNO R3 Stopped working on windows/mac

Hello,

I was normally using my Arduino for small projects and samples.
When I tried to connect again my arduino on the computer yesterday, the Arduino IDE wouldn't recognise the usb connection and I couldn't upload any program on the board.
I tested the board on both Windows and Mac. The same problem occurs.
On the Mac, the only available serial ports when I connect the Arduino are:

• /dev/tty.Bluetooth-Modem
  • /dev/tty.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync
  • /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem
  • /dev/cu.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync

The IDE automatically chose the /dev/tty.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync port since the USB is not available.

On the Windows, the COM1 port is available and selected.

When I try to upload the program on the board I get the following error on Mac:
"avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding"
and Windows:
"avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00"

I used it mostly on a 9V charger and one time by accident I connected the USB at the same time when the charger was also connected.
Why is this happening since I could use the Arduino some days ago? Is there a hardware fault?

You can have it on a charger and the USB at the same time. Did you maybe reverse the polarity on the charger at some stage?

What else did you connect to the Arduino?

I have the exact same issue with my Arduino UNO R3.
I have a regular Arduino UNO, which registers the USB port when plugged in - but when using the R3 - it fails to show the USB.
Any idea why the R3 wont show up the USB and y old Arduino UNO will?

Have you installed the Rev3 device driver?

Arduino UNO REV3.inf

I'm using mac os 10.6.8 - is the .inf file just for pc?
I have a pc lying around here as well, so I will install the Rev3 driver on that and see what happens.

I don't think I have reversed the polarity on the charger.
I was using LEDs, motors, arduino ethernet.. Nothing strange.
I suspect there is a problem with the EEPROM. Maybe by accident I short-circuited with the digital pins with a wire during an experiment.

I can find this file inside the Arduino IDE folder but how can I install it?
On the device manager ( windows 8 ), when I connect the Arduino Board there is no change in the listing so I don't know where to install the driver.

What can I do on the mac? Since it previously worked, the driver must be already installed.

Hi,

I have exaclty the same problem. I was using it fine and out of the blue when connecting the arduino mega 2560 r3 no changes to the device mamanger.
I have also plugged the arduino into a pc with no arduino drivers installed and It wont even come up with device unknown etc.
The arduino still play's the program that was last uploaded to it.

I have since tried to get it to dfu mode without luck.
Most of the instructions are not for the Rev 3 so the diagrams are different.
If anyone knows exactly how to get the Rev 3 one in dfu please advise.

Please help someone.

Hello,

I have experienced exactly the same thing. It was only after purchasing a new board that I noticed that the problem persisted. Changing my programming cable did the trick. Mine was rather long and the much shorter one I'm using now is working fine. I dont know why it took months for the problem to set in but this is what fixed it for me. (apologies if my response does not meet the standards of etiquette for the forum. I'm a noob)

Hi,

Thanks for the response, In the end mine was a faulty unit.

Albet

Hi all,

Does that mean that the ATmega328p-pu chip is faulty?

Hi,

Not sure, they swapped the whole unit.

My guess is the interface part was faulty as the last program uploaded was still running.

So maybe the usb interface bit was faulty.

Albert