HD44780 Protocol Analyzer

I have developed an open source HD44780 protocol analyzer for the Saleae Logic/Logic16. A description of the features is located at HD44780 Protocol Analyzer | Omar Francisco
Looking for testers and feedback. The source code and binary are located at https://hd44780analyzer.codeplex.com/. This version is for windows only.

I have a Logic but can't help with testing as I don't have any displays hooked up at present.

How hard was it to write the analyser? I have in mind to do a custom serial analyser soon.

Rob

It's not that hard once you understand the functionality your are expected to develop, which is the setting screen, test data, capture frames, analyzer and reporting. Go through the source code of the different analyzers to see how they were implemented. One thing I would do different if I had to do it again is invest more time at the beginning of the development effort in designing a solid test data generator to cover all the different use cases in which I was interested. If you do this, by the time you start analyzing real data streams, you will not get many surprises.

Good luck.

I assume the you need one of those Saleae Logic analyzers. That's not so helpful, at least to those of use without a Saleae Logic analyzer.

Now do something to make an Arduino a decent logic analyzer. Connect that to some free and open source GUI. Now your talking about something everyone can use.

I assume the you need one of those Saleae Logic analyzers. That's not so helpful, at least to those of use without a Saleae Logic analyzer.

True, but they are really cheap and very good. If everyone here had one we'd have half the post about getting serial comms working.

Connect that to some free and open source GUI.

There is an OS logic analyser GUI, it's called SUMP and I think Bus Blaster and Bus Pirate use it.

Now do something to make an Arduino a decent logic analyzer.

Not really fast enough without external hardware help, but a protocol analyser should be possible.

This little fellow is close.

Rob