Go Down

Topic: Use community logo on commercial software (Read 223 times) previous topic - next topic

freelabrasil

I am completing the development of software that will make life easier for those who need to control and read information about Arduino projects. However, it is commercial, it will not be free. In any case, I would like to use the free logo for the community but I have seen that her license does not allow me to use it, because my software is commercial. Is there any way I can use this logo in my project without it hurting Arduino copy and image rights? Remembering that my software will not contain the word Arduino in its name, I would just like to use the logo on the splash screen in a way that implies that it is used together with Arduino.

CrossRoads

Have to get permission from the copyright/trademark holder.

You could try Massimo@arduino.cc

Whom do you expect to pay for using your software?
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

freelabrasil

Have to get permission from the copyright/trademark holder.

You could try Massimo@arduino.cc

Whom do you expect to pay for using your software?
Hi. Thanks, I'll get in touch.

So, my focus is on the Arduino project creator who wants to access sensor data or send commands through other devices without having to program in another programming language other than Arduino itself.

Do you believe that something created to make life easier for Arduino designers is not for sale, even if it costs less than $ 100 a license? I wonder why these responses and feedback are important to our launch strategy.

Thanks CrossRoads.

ballscrewbob

That is not enough information to make a valid conclusion as to why you would want to use the logo and "charge" money for an "undisclosed" project.

BTW be a little careful using the term "project creator" as it commonly refers to a few different things already so may just confuse people.
It is also not really an original term IMHO.

Less that $100 is a very wide price range and for anything that is near the $100 range (75-100) it would have to be something pretty exceptional.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

freelabrasil

That is not enough information to make a valid conclusion as to why you would want to use the logo and "charge" money for an "undisclosed" project.

BTW be a little careful using the term "project creator" as it commonly refers to a few different things already so may just confuse people.
It is also not really an original term IMHO.

Less that $100 is a very wide price range and for anything that is near the $100 range (75-100) it would have to be something pretty exceptional.

Thanks ballscrewbob.

When I refer to "project creator" i tried to refer to that person who buys the Arduino board to create their project. Sorry for the confusion.

Thank you for your comments.

ChrisTenone

Hi freelabrasil,

I don't know if you have noticed, but in the Arduino "ecosphere" hardware costs money, but software is universally free, including development tools. If you have something you think is marketable, pay particular attention to that fact! Perhaps you should bundle it with a hardware component to make a 'monetary value' component. Inflate the price by your value added for the software, and claim "ease of use" or "extended capabilities" to explain the more expensive module.

A hundred bucks seems an awful lot for Arduino software though. The main use of Arduino boards is for "do it yourself" projects.

Good luck with your venture!
Wubba lubba dub dub!

Delta_G

And it's pretty much guaranteed that if you release some proprietary software meant to work with Arduino, it won't take us very long at all for us to get an open source solution ready.  So don't put much money into this thing if you want to try to make any money off of it.  Not many people are going to pay for something they can get for free. 
If at first you don't succeed, up - home - sudo - enter.

Go Up