HOW TO BURN BOOTLOADER ON ARDUINO SERIAL BOARD.

I understand that you are a beginner - but did you even look at the DB9 serial port version of the Arduino schematic - you would've seen a few components sitting between it and the ATMega (which act as a simple buffer/level translation)?

Also - did you not review voltage levels of the ATMega for the RX/TX pins and the voltage levels of standard RS-232?

I only ask this because ultimately, as a beginner, it is important that you do "RTFM" - when it comes to electronics and electrical work; research everything, review what you are going to do, and check it again before you do it; its that whole "measure twice, cut once" philosophy.

Doing this in the future will save you time, money, and potentially your life. Don't disregard this advice, please!

:slight_smile:

Regarding the question of the FTDI chipset; I am not sure if a thru-hole version is available, but I doubt it. You can, instead, solder the needed pins to a header (check out an RBBB - Really Bare Bones Board - schematic), and then use an FTDI cable instead, to get around the need to solder the SMT chip.

There's also breakout boards like this one from SparkFun:

Good luck with your future experimentation!

:smiley: