Which remote is easiest to use for a beginner

Or make your own IR/RF remote. You have an arduino controlling the servos now?
Will be a little more than $10, but infinitely more satisfying and can be programmed to do more things for your next project!

I started from this IR Remote for Granny and modified into RF for my needs
http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1283692181
With so few components, you could do that as a beginner.:slight_smile:

Or you could try something a little more complex, like my RF remote.
You will need:
An Arduino (I used a Promini, you can go with less expensive equivalent, such as RBBB from Modern Devices)
Rx/Tx pair from Sparkfun

• MO-SAWR, WRL-08946 TX
  • MO-RX3400, WRL-08950 RX
    Battery pack from pololu.com - 16 MHz Promini works just fine on 3 AAAs.
    (Pololu - Pages Matching "battery holder")
    Box to put it in (found mine at Staples)
    Keypad - can find 20-button keypad from "surplus sales of Nebraska" for $1, or a more common Velleman 12 & 16 button keypad for $5-6. Or ...
    Some diodes.
    Board to hold it all together - I used a Velleman "island of holes" board, there are others that do the same. Li battery is secured to it with tiewraps.
    I used wirewrap socket strips for mounting the parts and making all connections on the bottom of the board. There are few enough connections that you could do it all with point to point wiring.

The schematic and the working design:
(the Li battery charger circuit can be left off, and the 4 switch block as well - they are wired in but have not been implemented yet, future expansion goal if you will)
(currently uses a 3.3V 8MHz Promini running on 3.7V Li Battery - in powerdown sleep mode all the time, wakes on keypress to send the button pushed, then goes back to sleep)