I hate RF !

Even when I was a radio ham in the 60s, I hated RF. I couldnt see it, and at 10watts on top band - I couldnt feel it.

I could work out the exact length for an antenna, but then found you have to trim it afterwards ! I much preferred logic circuits, all true false and no maybes.

Some time later I worked on the Boeing 707, which had a horizontal whip that stuck out horizontally from the top of the tail, but was found to emit vertically polarised signals ! I hate RF.

50 odd years later, I am using 433 MHz links in many projects. I came up by accident with a fantastic whip antenna for the remotes, with which I get good range, and they cost the price of a BNC plug, plus 160mm of curtain expander wire, with a rubber bit on the end to save peoples eyes .. It looks cool and can't be easily damaged.

At the receive end, I usually just have a 160mm or whatever length of wire behind a plastic LED display.

Now I have made some units that have the transmitter in a box behind the display, and I am assuming that the front of the display board will be Chromadek ( metal ) so I am fitting the antenna inside the display , and want to run a 1m length of RG174 coax to the transmitter behind.

The shield of the coax will be grounded at the TX end, but for the life of me I can't remember what to do at the antenna end in the display.
I can just let the centre wire stick out for 160mm, or I could ground the shielding on some metal at that end.

Of course I can try it and see, but if there is a preferred method I would appreciate having my memory jogged !

depends on how much metal there is at the antenna mounting point.

If it's a metal box that is a significant portion on 1/4 wave, ground the coax on the box and use the box for your ground plane. If you have much power, this could be unpleasant for the electronics inside. :expressionless:

-j

Thanks Guys,

I am only receiving, so there is no power this end, so perhaps I will use the case as a groundplane then ( I line half the plastic box of the remote with foil as a groundplane and it seems to work )

Telecommando, I am going to run out of box if I go 300mm high with a dipole, but thanks for the suggestion, its all bringing it back to me now ( I still hate RF !!! )

ex G3STX

433MHz would be closer to 17cm than 16cm, wouldn't it?
( 299,792,458 / 433x106) / 4 = 0.173 metres.
(I hate RF too)

433MHz would be closer to 17cm than 16cm, wouldn't it?

Yes, I havnt measured it for a long time, I just chop it to the same length as a commercial one I keep handy ( I suppose I had better measure it in case I lose it :slight_smile: )

Incidentaly, I hate RF, but need to use it for my projects.

In the same way, I hate Facebook, but have to use it to keep in touch with all the grandchildren !