controlling arduino by ios device wirelessly

Hi all,

i am new to arduino world with some knowledge in general programming

the idea is to produce a commercial device that is controlled by any iphone or ipad

i think json library is used for this approach but i dont have a clue in doing it

i also want to know if there is another more practical way rather than using wifi shield that connects to home router or lets the user turn on iphones wifi to connect to arduino (may not be desirable by users)

thank u for any attempt to help

If the WiFi shield is too expensive you might want to look into Bluetooth. This example is for Arduino phones but it shouldn't be too hard to port to IOS.

The HC-05 Bluetooth boards seem to run about $7 on eBay.

johnwasser:
If the WiFi shield is too expensive you might want to look into Bluetooth. This example is for Arduino phones but it shouldn't be too hard to port to IOS.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Andruino-A-Simple-2-Way-Bluetooth-based-Android-C/

The HC-05 Bluetooth boards seem to run about $7 on eBay.

thank you for your help sir

however the bluetooth is less practical as for regular usage it needs the bluetooth to be working all the time which i personally do not prefer

i need some help on establishing this

i need an arduino board to connect by usb to android device and this device uses it's wifi as ad hoc connection to connect to a server that the iphone is connection to as well

so in this case we have different types of connection

iphone -output &input / arduino- output & input / android - output & input

all of them are connecting to the same web server to have the same data over multiple devices

sounds hard but i need your help please

You don't need a WiFi shield to do WiFi with an Arduino.
A working set-up is for example an Ardino UNO equipped with an official Ethernet shield ( more specifically with a W5100 Ethernet chip) and a little pocket route connected to the Ethenrnet shield.

I've used this and similar set-ups in several projects. The above is the standard that works to of the box with Aruino.

I am using a Teensy++2 with a WIZ812MJ in one project and recently designed what I jokingly call a Frankenduino Frankenduino or Ueber Arduino ? | HP LED Shield that combines a Teensy3 with a WIZ820io ( with a W5200).

Not only is this less expensive overall compared to the original Arduino WiFi shield but also much faster to get to work. A commercial pocket router like the TP-Link TL WR702n router comes with a self explanatory web interface that allows you to configure the router quickly either as an AP or in client mode and you can do that from your iPhone without having to open and program Arduino code.
AFAIK No WiFi shield offers that!

Hi Headroom

thank you for your generous help and valuable information

no I think to get red of the need of wifi/bluetooth shield and to make the project more worthy, i am thinking of using an android device between the arduino and the iphone

the android device will serve as :
1- output device to the monitor which will output raw data to more clearer graphs and information in the lcd (i need some tutorials about making hdmi output works on the arduino tft lcd screen)

2- works as wifi/bluetooth shield with ad hoc feature

3- web server

for this procedure i think it will take this path

the iphone will recieve and send data to android only throuth the webserver, the android will recieve the data from the iphone and send it to the arduino through usb cable
and vice versa

i need some tutorials if anyone can help on how to make hdmi output works with arduino tft lcd shield, and how can we interface with android device

thank you all for passing by or posting

this is a really great community

There is a lot of confusing language in your last post!

For wanting to make a commercial device you need to proceed from having an mere idea to having a working concept that defines the mechanical, electrical and software interfaces between these main parts.

The Arduino TFT shield, for example communicates with an Arduino through the SPI. That is an entirely different thing than HDMI.

How would eliminating the WiFi, or Bluetooth shield and replacing that with an Android device more worthy ?

MahOraibi:
the android device will serve as :
1- output device to the monitor which will output raw data to more clearer graphs and information in the lcd (i need some tutorials about making hdmi output works on the arduino tft lcd screen)

2- works as wifi/bluetooth shield with ad hoc feature

3- web server

Is the Android device a phone or tablet? Or is it a Raspberry Pi or BeagleBone type device running Android? If you're using the latter, your UI on the LCD connected via HDMI would be essentially an Android application.

thank you for your replies

first of all i am confused because i don't know how to find the correct way

about the TFT, the android device has hdmi output only, and i have arduino tft shield so i thought it may be possible to implement the tft shield as output for the android device however the hdmi is the issue

about the wifi shield i am thinking of connecting the android device to the arduino through usb connection as two ways connection

and then the wifi in the android device will connect as application to the iphone through wireless connection (web server and json parsing)

i didn't do it before and it is totally new to me

but i think it is the best way

for the next question

it is android 4.0 mini pc

MahOraibi:
thank you for your replies

first of all i am confused because i don't know how to find the correct way

about the TFT, the android device has hdmi output only, and i have arduino tft shield so i thought it may be possible to implement the tft shield as output for the android device however the hdmi is the issue

about the wifi shield i am thinking of connecting the android device to the arduino through usb connection as two ways connection

and then the wifi in the android device will connect as application to the iphone through wireless connection (web server and json parsing)

i didn't do it before and it is totally new to me

but i think it is the best way

for the next question

it is android 4.0 mini pc

I think you need to purchase an Arduino and start writing some code as well as do research on the various web interface options. You might be a great visionary with a fantastic product idea but the reality is you need to either be able to get down and do the work or need to enter into a partnership with someone who can do it for you.

You sound like you have very little practical knowledge so i would suggest you start by getting some books on Json and web development and go from there

Craig