Arduino Uno R3 - avrdude:stk500_getsync() : not in sync : resp=0x00

Good evening all,

I am quite new to Arduino and have just bought the UNO R3 yesterday. Please do accept my apologies in advance if this is a common problem. I have started playing with the board and was not even once able to connect it successfully to my notebook. The error I got was as above.

My settings are as follows :
(a) Host operating systems : Windows 7 Enterprise on a HP 6450B Notebook ( have also tested on a Windows 7 Home Premium Toshiba Satellite C640 )
(b) Arduino IDE 1.0.5
(c) Connecting to the PC with the USB cable and using this to power the arduino board as well

What I have tested :
(a) I have tested and confirmed that the correct board is selected in the arduino IDE i.e. Arduino UNO
(b) I have changed the driver to arduino.inf located within the \hardware directory
(c) Performed the loopback test. As Windows 7 do not have the hyperterminal software, I used putty. When I typed something on the notebook, I could notice that the RX LED
lights up - thus believe the board is working
(d) Have ensured that everytime before I upload from the notebook to the board, I reset the board first
(e) I have also played around with many different serial COM ports

All have failed. Can someone be kind enought to offer perhaps some additional advice on what to check for ?

Thank you very much.

Hello,

when you have connected the serial pins (digital pins 0 and 1, also named as TX and RX) try to interchange the two wires (RX ---> TX and TX ---> RX). Normally it should work then.

Best regards

Elektrix

Good morning Elektrix,

Firstly thank you so much for responding.

You have suggested "when you have connected the serial pins (digital pins 0 and 1, also named as TX and RX) try to interchange the two wires (RX ---> TX and TX ---> RX). Normally it should work then." - I am so sorry but I am a bit unclear about this. What I did was to connect a single piece of jumper wire between pins 0 and 1 ( the TX and RX pins ) and performed the loopback test. Are you suggesting that I reverse the ends of the same jumper wire and test again ? If this is the recommendation, I have just tested it and again the loopback is still not working. Whe the ends of the wires are reversed, again RX lights up when I send a signal over but TX remains unlighted. I have tested sending the signals using Serial Monitor also. If this is not what you advise, then could you kindly provide a bit more details about how to interchange the two wires ?

Thank you and best regards,

Hello ETOh,

first put away the wire that connects TX and RX. Then test it. When the error sill occurs then continue. When you have connected TX and RX to your computer then interchange these two connection. Pull out both wires at the arduino board and put the one that was in pin 0 to pin 1 and vice versa.

Regards

Elektrix

Good afternoon Elektrix,

I have tried as you have suggested but the same problem still persists. The 'not in sync' error occurs when the board is connected to my notebook and if in the loopback configuration, only the RX light blinks when I send something through the Serial Monitor.

Thanks and best regards,
ET

Hello,

when you don't have anything connected to RX and TX do you still have the problem?

Elektrix

ETOh,

To do the loopback test properly on an UNO, you need to jumper TX and RX together, and you need to jumper Reset and Ground together.

Without Reset and Ground jumpered, the processor will interfere with the signal.

If this works, then you can safely assume the USB to serial interface is working correctly. Then you need to focus on the Atmega328 processor.

If this is a socketed version, make sure the processor is fully seated. Put the Arduino on a flat surface a push down on the processor to make sure it is fully seated.

It's possible the bootloader was not loaded properly or has become corrupt in some way.

Is the pin 13 LED blinking when the UNO has power? The Arduino comes preloaded with the BLINK sketch from the factory and should blink the LED when it powered up.

Good evening Louis,

I have done as you have suggested. When the board is not in a loopback configuration, the power LED is always on and LED L ( connected to pin 13 ) is always blinking - I guess here it can be concluded that the default blink sketch is working.

Then I connected the loopback as you suggested i.e. Pin RX jumpered to TX and GND jumpered to Reset, the LED L is always on and no longer blinking while the power LED remains unchanged and is also always ON. When the loopback configured, I used the Serial Monitor to try the loopback however whatever I entered in the Serial Monitor is not replayed on the screen. I have checked and the chip is properly inserted into the socket. In normal operation, whenever I attempt to load a sketch, the RX LED will blink three times and the TX remains unlighted. It appears that the UNO cannot transmit anything back to the PC. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you and best regards,

At this point it looks like there is something wrong with the USB to Serial part of the UNO.

If you had another Arduino or an ISP, you could try to reload firmware on the 16u2 (the IC next to the USB connector).

Otherwise, since this a new UNO and it has never worked, I would try to get a replacement from wherever you got it.

Good evening Louis,

This is a bit unfortunate but I think I have to accept that something is wrong with the board. I did not mention earlier that I have also tested with a different USB cable which is confirmed to be working on my printer and with this USB cable, the board also behaves similarly. I have also tested with other versions of the Arduino IDE and all are also giving consistently the same failures.

Thanks and best regards,

Hello ETOh,

I would do another test: connect the arduino board only with a USB cable to your computer, no serial cable, no bridges. Then try to upload a script to the board. I read again your first post. When you have the right board selected in the arduino IDE then it's probably a problem with USB connection. You already checked the cable (I had a bad USB cable once and it took me a long time to find the error).

Then it's either a problem with the board itself or with USB configuration or USB voltage could be too low (don't know if this really makes problems to the arduino). If possible check with another PC and with another operating system. I can't tell you about Win7 because I have a Linux machine.

Elektrix

Good morning Elektrix,

I have actually tested the board on two different notebooks already - one running WIndows 7 Enterprise and another Windows 7 Home Premium, the same observations are obtained in both cases. Very consistent failures.

Thanks and best regards,

Now I think it's time to get a replacement for the board.

Elektrix

Hello. I am new to the Arduino but not new to micro-controllers. For my Arduino Nano version 3.0 I am getting the message as others reported here i.e.

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

FYI: I tested my nano board and it works perfectly with windows xp and my MACBOOK. But with my desktop having windows 7 64 bit, it has some communication issues.

1. Right now it has driver version 2.8.30 which is the latest one.

2. Device manager shows driver is correctly installed.

3. When i try to send the sketch, comm leds blink a few times and the board sends back the error i mentioned above.

I am really pissed off with this issue.

I have searched all over but no one could reply satisfactorily.