Eyeball Construction

Brainfart14:
I'm just looking at/listening to 3 softly buzzing servos. Am I drawing too much power?

Very likely. What type of servos are they and how are they powered? If the answer is "From the 5V pin" and/or "through a breadboard" then yes.

Steve

slipstick:
Very likely. What type of servos are they and how are they powered? If the answer is "From the 5V pin" and/or "through a breadboard" then yes.
[/quot

That is how I have them set up. But also tried to add a battery into the mix. So, I guess I either need a bigger battery (I used a 9V), or I have to redo my setup to make sure that the battery was actually part of the equation and not just there 'looking pretty'.
The servos I'm using are Emakefun MG90S Mini Metal Geared Micro Servos. I saw them in a few video tutorials where they were praised, and the site I bought them from also had good reviews for them; so I assumed they'd be great.
*Quick note, I do have 2 older servos that I bought from RadioShack a few years ago that still work great. I tried my sketch with them too and got the same result. So I don't think it's the motors.

If you power the servos with their own battery it is more likely to work. 4 x AA rechargeable NiMH would be ideal but 3 x 1.5V Alkaline AAs would also probably get you going. The breadboard may be o.k. but some of them can't handle the current that a servos need.

Steve

slipstick:
The breadboard may be o.k. but some of them can't handle the current that a servos need.

Steve

Alright. Any suggestions for better breadboards or alternatives?

So I tried the sketch again- this time powering the servos with their own battery. Confusedly, nothing happened this time. I'm worried that I overpowered my arduino board last night. I did add a battery last night too, but even then all I got was a soft buzzing from the motors. Really, really hoping that I didn't kill my board :confused: and I'm just hoping that it's something else preventing my sketch from working. I've added a picture of my wiring for a second opinion/analysis.

It would be a lot more useful to see a photo of the actual components and wiring. Also please post the code you are currently using because I've lost track of what changes you've made.

Steve

Did you fix those for loops? Post the code as it is now. You've been around long enough to know to do that.

Post a wiring schematic if you're still concerned you have something wired wrong. Asking us to evaluate your wiring without showing it to us is just plain stupid. Come on now, you can think at least a little here.

Delta_G:
Did you fix those for loops? Post the code as it is now. You've been around long enough to know to do that.

Post a wiring schematic if you're still concerned you have something wired wrong. Asking us to evaluate your wiring without showing it to us is just plain stupid. Come on now, you can think at least a little here.

Okay, I've had enough of you and you're piss poor attitude. I don't want your help anymore. I'm sure there are other people who are will to put up with you, but I'm not. Maybe your lack of patience or understanding for someone who's trying to learn will work for someone else on this site. But I've had enough. Good bye and good riddance.

slipstick:
It would be a lot more useful to see a photo of the actual components and wiring. Also please post the code you are currently using because I've lost track of what changes you've made.

Steve

Okay, I've managed to find a way to 'draw it out' if you will. I hope this is what you meant. And the code is added at the bottom. (Super-long post ahead)

#include <Servo.h>
Servo hor;  // horizontal servo
Servo vert; // vertical servo
Servo lid;  //eyelid servo

int servoPos = 0; //variable for servo pos (PWM 3-6-11)

void setup() {
vert.attach(3); //attach to pin 3
hor.attach(6); //attach to pin 6
lid.attach(11); //attach to pin 11

}

void loop() {
  for(servoPos = 0; servoPos < 180; servoPos+=20)  //horizontal looks from L to R
  {hor.write(servoPos);
  delay(10);
  }

for(servoPos = 0; servoPos <=180; servoPos+=150)        //lid covers eye
 {lid.write(servoPos);
 delay(100);
 }

for(servoPos = 180; servoPos > 0; servoPos-=30)   //lid recedes
 {lid.write(servoPos);
delay(100);
  } 

for(servoPos = 180; servoPos > 0; servoPos-=20)  //horizontal looks from R to L
 {hor.write(servoPos);
 delay(30);
 }

for(servoPos = 0; servoPos < 180; servoPos+=45)  //vertical looks U and D
 {vert.write(servoPos);
 delay(30);
 } 

for(servoPos = 180; servoPos > 0; servoPos-=30)   //vertical looks D and U
 vert.write(servoPos);
 delay(15);
}

Good luck - with that attitude to one of the more helpful members you're gonna need it cus you aren't likely to get much help.

Steve

With all due respect, if the only responses I'm going to get are mean-spirited and negative then it's not really help. Now I'm sorry if my previous posts have proven frustrating, but if their responses to my questions and comments are only going to make me second-guess my competence and if my questions are even worth it, then that's not the type of help that I want. I'm more than open to Delta_G's help, but only if the cruel attitude stays behind.
I still greatly appreciate your help and patience, Mr. Steve (if I may call you that?), and I hope that it may continue because I feel like I've already gotten so much more done speaking with you than I have previously. And for that, I thank you.

After Delta_G told you exactly how to change your loops you've done something different. And that's why nothing works. See if you can spot the difference.

Steve

I was shown an example of how to fix it, and I incorporated it into my sketch. Delta_G gave me an example code a little while back in the discussion and I changed what I'd originally had. It appeared that I had left out the equal sign with my values for the servo movement. I'll try it again, wouldn't be surprised if I still missed it; but my outburst was in regards to the way Delta_G's responses were given. I get it, this is frustrating, I'm frustrated too, but if it's getting annoying to you [Delta_G], then perhaps it's time to take a step back and regain your composure before responding. The same can be said in my end as well.

Brainfart14:
Okay, I've had enough of you and you're piss poor attitude. I don't want your help anymore. I'm sure there are other people who are will to put up with you, but I'm not. Maybe your lack of patience or understanding for someone who's trying to learn will work for someone else on this site. But I've had enough. Good bye and good riddance.

Nothing I said was mean spirited. None of it was cruel. It's just that you've been asked many times over now to provide a schematic of some sort. It doesn't matter how newbie you are or how delicate a flower you might be, you can at least answer the questions you are being asked if you want help. Instead of waving your arms around and wondering why you're getting nowhere, how about you work WITH the people who can and will help you and get somewhere with this.

Get real. Or show me what was so cruel and hateful.

Was it because I said what you were doing was stupid?

You are asking us if you burned out your servos. And you want us to answer based on what exactly? What do we actually know about your project other than it is supposed to make a creepy book? We ask for a schematic, but you won't show us one. Instead you say your servos are shaking and you don't know why.

Well it could be the code you you might have burned something up. How can anyone tell without seeing at least the code or the wiring? How? How newbie do you have to be to not understand that you have to show it to someone? Even my little 2 year old daughter, when her toy breaks, she brings it and shows it to daddy. She doesn't just come in and tell me it's broke. She shows it to me and says, "daddy fix it". She is 2. You want me to believe that I should go easy on you for repeatedly not getting that point? In all your other threads? In all the time you've been here. You can't understand something that a 2 year old gets. And you think I'm being too hard on you to point that out?

If you really are that helpless then I'm sorry. I appologize. But if you're not really that helpless, then take it for what it is. A clue to wake up and start putting in a little thought and effort. If you can see it for that then maybe you make it one day as a coder. If not, then pick another hobby or field of study. This one isn't a good fit for such a delicate flower.

Now if you want to show that schematic I'll tell you whether or not you've done anything bad to your Arduino.

No hard feelings.

Oh and another thing I don't like is when someone points out a problem and then you go back to an earlier post and make changes to it without ever acknowledging that you got it wrong in the first place, so making my comment look pointless.

When you change something post the changed version in a new post.

Steve

slipstick:
Oh and another thing I don't like is when someone points out a problem and then you go back to an earlier post and make changes to it without ever acknowledging that you got it wrong in the first place, so making my comment look pointless.

When you change something post the changed version in a new post.

Steve

What? I don't understand. I mean, I know what you're saying, but where/when did I do that? I never tried to make your posts look pointless. Now, I did go back and fix some code in earlier posts, but only so I don't confuse myself. If you thought I was trying to pull something on either of you, I don't want you to feel that way. I was reading through everything to see where/what I screwed up in those for loops. I changed them, both in here and in the actual sketch to make sure I don't make that mistake in the code again. Sorry if you thought I was trying to be a smarta**

No hard feelings :slight_smile:

Now if you want to show that schematic I'll tell you whether or not you've done anything bad to your Arduino.

Okay, so here is my current circuitry for the arduino. I posted one earlier, only to realize that the wiring for the power and ground were incorrect. So I fixed that, plus, in speaking to someone on facebook, I also learned that if I planned to power the sketch with a battery, then I should insert the power wire into VIN instead of 5V because that could blow my board. I tried it this way, but my servos still seemed to do nothing but buzz and move very, very slowly if at all.

I decided to retry everything but only use 1 servo at a time- like a regular sweep. In doing so, the servos still didn't respond; so I tried one of my older micro servos which responded perfectly. So i decided that the servos I was originally using were a part of the problem. So I won't be using them anymore.

As for the code, this is what I've got so far.

#include <Servo.h>
Servo hor;  // horizontal servo
Servo vert; // vertical servo
Servo lid;  //eyelid servo

int servoPos = 0; //variable for servo pos (PWM 3-6-11)

void setup() {
vert.attach(3); //attach to pin 3
hor.attach(6);  //attach to pin 6
lid.attach(11); //attach to pin 11
}

void loop() {
  for(servoPos = 0; servoPos <= 180; servoPos += 20){      //horizontal looks from L to R
    hor.write(servoPos);
    delay(10);
   }

for(servoPos = 0; servoPos <= 180; servoPos += 100){     //lid covers eye
    lid.write(servoPos);
    delay(100);
   }

for(servoPos = 180; servoPos > 0; servoPos -= 100){    //lid recedes
     lid.write(servoPos);
     delay(100);
    } 

for(servoPos = 180; servoPos > 0; servoPos -= 20){     //horizontal looks from R to L
     hor.write(servoPos);
     delay(30);
    }

for(servoPos = 0; servoPos < 180; servoPos += 45){     //vertical looks U and D
     vert.write(servoPos);
     delay(30);
    } 

for(servoPos = 180; servoPos > 0; servoPos -= 45){   //vertical looks D and U
     vert.write(servoPos);
     delay(15);
   }
}

Regrettably, I haven't been able to really try it out yet because I only have 1 working servo (like I said, the other 3 that I have are crap, so I've got to get some more).