Quick Reply - waste of space

Does the Quick Reply box really have to take up so much space (or appear at all ?) when reading a thread ?

and why is that on opening a thread to read the system jumps straight to the Quick Reply field ? After all, the reason for opening the thread is presumably to read it !

Yes I don't like that either, it looks like a "feature" though.

How could anyone think that it is a good idea though ? It even happens when you move between pages in a thread.

PRO: This "feature" reduces the # of accesses to the webserver substantially. (good argument in itself)

CON: This "feature" reduces the user experience substantially... :frowning:

PRO: This "feature" reduces the # of accesses to the webserver substantially. (good argument in itself)

I predict that with the forum in the state it is now the number of accesses to the webserver will be substantially reduced in any case.

This "feature" makes the forum practically unusable.

I don't think the large size matters as it's at the bottom of the screen. I love that it now has formatting buttons as that was a beef of mine ages ago that you couldn't easily add code etc in quick mode.
But this auto jumping to the quick edit has to go, it makes the forum effing unusable IMO.

Rob

But this auto jumping to the quick edit has to go, it makes the forum effing unusable IMO.

I don't think the perpetrators of the forum realize just how unusable this makes the forum for those who have a either a slow internet connection or one with high latency.

In my case my access is via satellite where the high latency is the problem. Each web page seems to involve several requests from the server and each request experiences a 750 mS latency.

When I access a forum thread I initially see the 'top' of the thread and I can start reading the first post. I generally am part way through that post when the page fully loads at which point I am transported to the 'bottom' of the thread. I now have to press the [Go Up] button or scroll back up to the top of the page to finish reading.

The same thing happens when going to the next page of a multi-page thread.

Don