Twitter without Ethernet shield?

So I saw the laser twitter tripwire tutorial on instructables but you must use linux...

I have windows xp and no ethernet shield with my arduino Uno. I am wondering how I can go about making the arduino send data to my computer in the form of lets say a photo resistor and then send that data to twitter saying that your laser has been tripped and other stuff.

How can this be done?

Use your arduino to measure the sensors (photoresistor in your case) and let it compose the content of the tweet.
Let the Arduino send it to your PC over a serial wire.
(you can test this part separately)

Replace the serial monitor with an application that receives the tweet and let it post on the net. This can be done in almost any programming language, from python to C#. YOu need to combine two things in essence - read a string from a serial port - and - post a tweet -.

Google is your friend here :slight_smile:

Succes,

robtillaart:
Use your arduino to measure the sensors (photoresistor in your case) and let it compose the content of the tweet.
Let the Arduino send it to your PC over a serial wire.
(you can test this part separately)

Replace the serial monitor with an application that receives the tweet and let it post on the net. This can be done in almost any programming language, from python to C#. YOu need to combine two things in essence - read a string from a serial port - and - post a tweet -.

Google is your friend here :slight_smile:

Succes,

well I checked some website about this but don't know the first thing about python or C++ or php. I need someone to guide me the right way

well I checked some website about this but don't know the first thing about python or C++ or php. I need someone to guide me the right way

Then, you need to learn. Pick one (python, C++, or PHP, although either of the p's would get you up and running sooner). Get a good book. Our library system has online books on technical topics. Yours may, too. Read the book. Do the exercises. Learn the material. Then, you will be able to do this on your own.

It is not trivial, but it isn't all that hard, either.

Hello,

use python. google for a simple how to post on the internet using python. What you really need to do is use python serial and do the following:

1. monitor the serial port continuously.
  2. make a small protocol. Say when I receive 3 aaa in a line it means its the ending of a message
  3. That intermediate message should be taken up by python and posted to a file or directly be sent over ethernet.
  4. You could check out email applications for twitter, in which you just email your tweet and it gets posted.
  5. Python is the easiest language I've come across till this date, it won't be a hassle working with it.
  6. Also don't worry about the OS you're running, if its python it'll behave exactly the same way as it does on linux only the ports will be COM 0 or COM 1 or whatever rather than /dev/ttyUSB0 or /dev/ttyUSB1

I created a tutorial to guide you through the process of integrating Twitter with your Arduino without an ethernet shield using Python, as previously suggested. I hope you find it helpful.
http://wellsb.com/post/5135881420/arduino-to-twitter-over-usb