error: avrdude: stk

Can you give steps to clear this error so programs will again upload? I have onlu the usb cable. Have tried to clear the error by operating the reset on the board. no go. Do I need another cable to rest individual pins? wheere to buy it?

Can you give steps to clear this error so programs will again upload? I have only the usb cable. Have tried to clear the error by operating the reset on the board while uploading the BLINK program. no go. Please do it step by step. I'm not very experienced with the UNO.
BTW... the program that preceded the error was "SleepDEMOserial"

Please do not cross-post. This wastes time and resources as people attempt to answer your question on multiple threads.

Threads merged.

What board? What version of the IDE? What operating system are you using? Help us out here.

the board is the Arduino Uno rev 3 with no external components connected to it.
IDE is 1.0.3 (I believe that is what you are referring to)
OS 10.4.11

after uploading sleep software the goal was to measure sleep current of the UNO by itself to calculate the life of a battery pack, 4 ea AA rechargeables producing 4.6V at 2450maH. After the SLEEPDEMOserial upload, the next upload produced the error.

Sorry... IDE :Xcode 2.5 Developer Tools for
Mac OS X v10.4 (Tiger

Where did you connect those 4 batteries exactly? Did you measure the voltage from them?

An adafruit 4-AA battery pack
positive lead connected to the black lead of the mmeter set at 200ma.
red mmeter lead to the red lead of the barrel power male
black batterypack lead to the black lead of the barrel power male

barrel male to female power on the UNO

current was `25ma

That's current, not voltage.

I just wondered what voltage was coming out of your battery pack.

Can you take a photo or draw a sketch of what you just described? It was rather confusing.

Sorry... Voltage was 5.26 V. measured across the connector that plugs into the UNO. battery pack is javascript:popupWindow('http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=830').

calculate the life of a battery pack, 4 ea AA rechargeables producing 4.6V

That's somewhat higher than you expected isn't it? Is it possible it was over 5.5V when you tested it earlier?

Also the reason why he can't reprogram the Uno... @ 4.6V / 4 = 1.15 V or a nearly discharged Ni-Cd battery and there is a fixed 1.6 - 1.8 volt regulator I/O differential which would leave about 2.5 - 2.9 V for the processor, Maybe and worse because of the poor state of the Ni-Cd's

Bob

He actually measured 5.26V. Too high for +5V and too low for Vin.

The photo would help, hint hint ...

You won't correctly measure the current draw from the batteries when the Arduino is also connected to, and powered by the USB cable.
If it is NOT connected to the USB cable, I can suggest a possible reason why the programming step might fail...