8x8x8 multiplexed LED cube with an Arduino Mega 2560

I disagree with many of your assumptioms.

1. MAX7219 multiplexes 64 digits. It has no more than 8 LEDs on at a time, thus not much more than 160mA if 20mA/LED is being used.
    Additionally, 5V/4A supply is easy to find - I use this one in several projects
    5V 4A Power Adapter OPENPEAK OP-20004
    For my 8x32 display using 4 of MAX7219 and a Duemilanove, a 9V, 1A supply was used, drawing under 1A of power as all 5V current went thru the onboard regulator.
  2. More components, yes, but easier to assemble LED cube as all columns are connected, and all Layers are connected, thus just 8 wires need to be hidden away. With non-multiplexed MAX7219, need isolated layers and 16 wires per layer.
  3. MAX7219 is $1.25/chip from taydaelectronics.com. TPIC6B595 is 83 cents from avnet.com, plus PNP or P-channel MOSFETS. Seems comparable when totalled.
  4. Agree with you on wiring. Don't know how you solve the cube stability while maintaining layer isolation.
  5. There are many examples of LEDs cubes. The soldering together is less tricky than you think, there is just a lot of it. Here is one of the best writeups I have seen.
    http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/workshop/JamecoBuilds/4x4x4ledcube.html