Arduino output pins controlling Electric Strike

So you're saying to setup up like this?

My original setup works with a bench power supply... 15V in to the regulator for 12V out and another power supply as 5V to simulate an arduino digital out. But what i noticed is when i use the arduino to trigger the transistor, im getting 4v across the collector emitter and 8V at the output of the lock... Idealy, when the transistor is saturated, there should only be approx. 0.2V across the collector emitter, giving me 11.8V at the lock which is enough to trigger the solenoid.

Im assuming the arduino cannot supply enough current to saturate the transistor. Ive used a POT and measured the voltage across the collector and emitter until i got 0.2V but even that limiting resistor value was not enough to turn the transistor on.

If i use the setup that kf2qd suggested, is the diode in the right position? Im pretty new to the electric strike business and im not sure if terminals of the strike have any polarity. When i tested the strike and applied the positive lead of the power supply to either ends it still worked.

Another question, if i decide to use relays, im going to need two relays for this setup right? One thats connected to the arduino output pin which is turned on when the pin is set high and another 12v relay that will turn on when the relay connected to the arduino is on? Im sure the output current of the arduino wont be enough to trigger a 12V relay. If thats the case, what type of relay should i use? ive searched all around and there are so many different types of relays. DPDT, SPDT, SPST i dont even know where to begin :S .... if anyone here can give me some advice as to what i should use or can recommend one that would be greatly appreciated.

Ive also considered using opto-isolators... would that be any better?

Thanks everyone!!!