vacuum plate idea

Yeah I thought perhaps of rubber spacers spread conviently throughout the glass to help keep it from shattering
I tried the blowtorch and while I did melt it, it doesn't seem viable for me to seal it with just a blowtorch and lack of glass skill, ended up just bending a piece then it cracked near the joint I guess uneven heating, so I dipped it in water and it entirely fractured, pretty cool looking actually
im usin some other smaller pieces of glass for a test run, aout 2x3inches on the inside of the silicone, I placed a plastic tube inside(pretty small one maybe 1/4 outside diameter, and a few rubber washers at the corners to make it all even, and a wire at each end for electrodes, then siliconed a good 1/2 all the way around, and while it took some patience to get it airtight I think I got it, ill find out tomorrow when I hook up the vacuum pump

That rubber seal makes sense, but how would I get the air out in the first place if itch has a rubber ring around it? And I guess the thinnest possible would be the easiest to pump, but how small do you think is practical?
Thanks for the help so far, I hope this comes out cool, I got the idea from an automotive bulb that I purposely blew the filament on, and hooked up to a modifed laptop flourescent driver and got a real neat effect