controlling multiple 8x8 RGB LED matrix

berkeleythings:

fungus:
I forgot to ask...do you want full color? (PWM on the leds). If so, forget the MAX2719...

Full color would be ideal, but if having only the 3 color combinations is substantially easier to assemble, then that would be alright.

I was just thinking some more about this...it's not an easy thing to do.

I think the only real way to do it is to multiplex it in software.

Assuming the matrices are in a horizontal row, you'll need to connect all the anodes together then use 8 PNP transistors to switch power to them (probably MOSFETs).

Along the bottom you'll need 3x8x10=240 current sinks for all the columns. 15 TLC5940s chained together would do it, plus you'd get full color. You could use non-PWM chips but in the long run it's not going to be any simpler to build.

Bear in mind that 240 LEDs at 20mA adds up to about 5A of current. Switching that much power at high speed is difficult. You might need to feed power in on both sides of the array to make it work (ie. 16 PNP mosfets, 8 on the left and 8 on the right). Put lots of big decoupling capacitors on all the power lines (a mixture of ceramics and electrolytics) and don't forget the usual decoupling on all the chips, etc. Bad power design will cause random glitches.