Getting started with attiny

I'm interested in using other micro-controllers for simpler or battery powered projects. I have been having a hard time learning about the basics of these things. I've only used the arduino so far. Where can I get some beginner info on using these without the arduino. Also, can I program an attiny with my pocket AVR? Does is still use the same code language?

Thanks

Actually, thats the thing, Im trying to learn about programming an attiny without arduino or at least understand it. Obviously ive been looking on google quite a bit and I cant really find anything I can understand on the subject. I know so little about microcontrollers outside of arduino, I dont know where to start.... I hope you aren't mistaking my question as an unwillingness to search. Im just looking for a push in the right direction.

Well then I apologize. I've seen enough non-arduino topics to make me think that it was not such a horrible offense. I'm sorry to have wasted everyone's time.

stoopkid:
Well then I apologize. I've seen enough non-arduino topics to make me think that it was not such a horrible offense. I'm sorry to have wasted everyone's time.

Your not wasting any time, the internet and this forum never sleeps. There have been posts around here on using the attiny chips with the arduino IDE software. It's not real simple as several core arduino files have to be modified or replaced. Several posters around here activaly use the attiny chips, Coding badly is propably the most active on I've seen on the subject. Send him a PM and I'm sure he will try and get you pointed in the right direction or give you the proper links.

Lefty

I found using attiny chips quite easy. At least on a basic level. Don't put using the USI interface as point 1 on your agenda :wink:

If you're comfortable with direct port manipulation (not that hard), you can do quite a lot of things with them. The 2313/4313 even comes with a real UART (but no ADC). I found Code::Blocks to be a nice IDE, sometimes I use AVRStudio4 as well (for simulation). Avrfreaks.net have an extensive section just with tutorials on their forum. Highly recommended.

Just do it :wink:

After getting interested in ATtiny's myself, I had this websie reconmended to me. It includes the hardware cores, instructions on how to program it, and how to set it up. I found it useful, and the only thing it does not have is ideas of what to do with your new toy! :smiley:

Onions.

A very good guide was writed by leo72.
we found it here.... http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,56772.45.html
but it's in Italian :):):slight_smile:
another guide for example how attiny85 work at 8Mhz ? verranno pubblicate nei prossimi giorni...
it will publicate in future :slight_smile:

The Attiny chips by and large work great with the Arduino software, they also should be quite similar to other AVR chips as far as programming in avr-gcc or some such.