Arduino IDE on the iPad

SmartQ V7 runs windows CE, Android, and a modded Ubuntu

Link?
Android sounds interesting?

@mattcf
Do you have one / experiences ?

@robtillaart
I have seen one before and used it for a few min, Will be ordering one soon there cool. It is said you need a little computer experience to get all the features working all the way though.

Is it comparable in size with an IPAD?

7in Resistive touch screen and can be conected to a TV with an included HDMI port.
When conected to TV it is HD. (Thats what the website says here is a link. http://en.smartdevices.com.cn/Products/V7/200912/04-40.html)

Unfortunately, the idea is not simply to have a tablet that can talk to arduino. The idea is to have a system/environment LIKE the iPad, including all the benefits of "Big Brother Apple", that also talks to arduino.

Android
Ubuntu
Windows CE6
I think that has all the features you are talking about not to mention you can put on any ARM arc OS.

Ubuntu One and Google = Mobile me (but cheeper)
Android Store and Ubuntu Software Center = App Store
(Ubuntu and Windows CE) flash = "Ahh what's flash" (At least thats what I think they say.)
the list goes on.

The iPad, well any device that runs the iOS is really limited.

Which is rather like saying that a USB Bitwhacker (for example) has capabilities just like an arduino. Theoretically true, but missing the point. You could put an arduino IDE on every other tablet out there, and as long as apple is selling iPads, there will be discussion on how to put arduino there too.

Just wanted to bring up this topic again because Redpark now has an iOS-Serial cable (that's been approved by Apple!) and you can get a kit from MakerSHED that has the cable and a kit to interface with the Arduino. The question is whether an IDE could be written for it. I think it would be possible, but whether Apple would accept it isn't clear.

One Step Closer???

Serial Adapter, and they are have code for the serial protocol on the iOS.

http://redpark.com/news.html

Chris

I'm giving this a bump to see if anything has changed and to put forth a suggestion.

Would it be workable to create a web service that would compile arduino code and returned the binary for download to the arduino. Then all you would need to create would be a tablet based app that allowed you to edit code and then download the code to the arduino.

I'm new to working with arduino devices so bear with me if I'm getting some of the nomenclature wrong. The whole process might look something like this

• Edit code on iPad/Android/etc. native app
  • App sends code to web service for compiling
  • App gets binary back from web service
  • App downloads binary to Arduino device
  • Profit

Could something like that work?

The other option would be to re-write the Arduino compiler in Objective-C and then see if Apple would accept it for the App store.

colinj:
App downloads binary to Arduino device
Could something like that work?

No.

Well,
In android tablet is posible, see: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,113971.0.html

We've just started beta testing an online IDE for Arduino called wifino. All code is stored and compiled in the cloud using a browser-based editor. Firware hex files are available for download and can be deployed using avrdude. Additionally, we're working on a wifi interface and an iPhone app to download code from the online IDE to upload to your Arduino (or wifino) via an 802.11b/g network. We have demo videos on our youtube channel showing the prototype Windows app and iPhone app.

The hardware portion of the wifino system will be available as an Arduino-compatible board, or an Arduino shield, or a set of instructions on how to interface a wifi chip with your existing Arduino Uno.

wifino is a solution that frees your 'duino. Frees it from the confines of a desktop development application. Frees it from a USB cable. Frees it do you what you want, when you want, where you want.

Details at www.wifino.com, the IDE is available at ide.wifino.com

We're looking for more beta testers. Let us know if you're interested -- join our forum and send a PM to "tod" ...

If you love your 'duino, set it free.

I've had a thought. I'm not much of a programmer but why couldn't a clever person do something like this:

Build an Arduino with a bluetooth shield and a SD card shield. Put all the data and files required by the Arduino IDE and compiler on the SD Card (for easy updating). Write an editor like the abovementioned "Koder" on iPad that could upload your code to the arduino via bluetooth (or by serial via the iPad connector) and write an Arduino sketch that could receive and compile that code, then have that Arduino burn the compiled sketch to another Arduino. The first would just be the hardware tool to burn sketches to other Arduinos! Then you could have Adruino programming on-the-go!

Here's an example of using an Arduino to load the bootloader to an ATMega:

.. but I don't see why it couldn't just as easily be tweaked to burn the sketch instead of the bootloader onto an Arduino rather than a stand-alone ATMega328P

Anyone tried building an Arduino that can compile sketches for other Arduinos?

If anyone runs with it PLEASE SHARE WITH THE REST OF THE CLASS!!! :wink:

A compiler would need a lot of memory to compile. Arduino only has 2KB memory so will have a hard time compiling any type of code. Plus, you can't use ipad's bluetooth serial. Just search bluetooth serial terminal on app store you will find nothing useful.

On Android there is ArduinoDroid app, on iPad i'm afraid it's impossible..

You can try free(mium) ArduinoCode iOS app - full-featured IDE that runs on iPad/iPhone. And yes, it supports code complete:

Check out ArduinoCode

bubulindo:
True...

Unless one Android device comes out that can actually contend with the iPad... that's not going to happen. I guess Samsung may be able to get close... but, because of their copycat culture, they may never get anywhere near the smoothness of the iPad.

On the other hand, if there was market for it, Android could be changed (even if by a tinkerer) to acommodate the Arduino fans wishes, whilst I don't see that happening with the iPad. So in the end, I guess that we just have to wait for Android to catch up sort some of the issues out. :frowning:

You do realise that Samsung where hired to make the screens, processor and memor for the iPads up until 2010