Leonardo Clone out already!

Can someone explain the D# assignment's of the Leonardo to me? Almost seems arbitrary.

I tried to assign them so the same function would be on the same pin, with a jumper field to allow A4/A5 be that or SCL/SDA, and keep the SPI pins the same to avoid the Mega 'issue' of them being somewhere else.

bump

To make PCB layout trivial? To show off that it IS arbitrary? To make sure PWM pins stay in the same place? (I think I'm betting on that last one. For typical usage (shields, code), it's more important that 3,5,6, 9,10,11 stay PWM-capable than that the pin ordering matches the port bit ordering.)

From the pins_ file, it sounds like they put the SPI port on the ISP connector (D14..17), freeing up other pins to be connected to D11..13. The official Ethernet Shield establishes the (unfortunate, IMO) precedent of using the ISP connector for SPI peripherals, rather than the digital IO pins (that way it is compatible with both Arduino AND mega.)

Anyone who actually has a Leonardo is probably under non-disclosure, right? So it's all speculation unless there is official word...

It sound funny that: people that have a Leonardo are under non disclosure. I mean, this is an open hardware platform, right? Or is it?

this is an open hardware platform, right?

Yes it does seem a bit of an contradiction, I'm hanging out to see the Due schematic because I'd like to do a clone design.

Maybe they don't want to release stuff until it's right. Otherwise they'll be buggy versions circulating.

Rob

Graynomad:
I'm hanging out to see the Due schematic because I'd like to do a clone design.

maybe they don't want clones to compete with the big release

Other dev-platforms are not as threatening to Arduino's business in comparison to clones. Arduino is like Apple in the sense that they are dependent on their own branding in order to make sales.

Having SPI on ICSP is not really helpful - still need a chip/slave select line.

I'll rearrange a little to put more PWMs on the 'standard' pins.

Playing with these for a about 2 weeks now. Boot loader has been stable as of latest release. LED blink that comes with the boot loader is now "breathing". Adafruit's 32U4 breakout is easiest to try this out, altho I made my own version and works nicely. Nice to walk away from the pricey FT232Rl chip.

What pins_arduino.h data did you use with that?

CrossRoads:
What pins_arduino.h data did you use with that?

The one posted by 32teeth (from 1.0rc2)

FM,

The way you have your TX LED wired, wouldnt that just have the LED on all the time?

I wasn't showing a TX LED, only RX, driven by D25.
The Activity LED is driven when SCK is high (D13).

The shrunken ATMega32U4 design I started from didn't have a TX LED so didn't tie up a pin with one either.

Crossroads, that question was for fm. :slight_smile:

CrossRoads:
I wasn't showing a TX LED, only RX, driven by D25.
The Activity LED is driven when SCK is high (D13).

The shrunken ATMega32U4 design I started from didn't have a TX LED so didn't tie up a pin with one either.

Hi CrossRoads, the activity LEDs should be fine. Going through the data sheet suggests so.
Any way, we will soon know I've ordered a batch for distributing to the chaps on the other thread, they should be arriving the week after next.

fm:

Hi CrossRoads, the activity LEDs should be fine. Going through the data sheet suggests so.
Any way, we will soon know I've ordered a batch for distributing to the chaps on the other thread, they should be arriving the week after next.
[/quote]

fm,

I tried it already, it is ground switched when using the arduino boot loader(LED pin is always high).

Roy

Hi Roy, thanks for the feedback. Will see how it looks.

What happens after the boot loader ends?
Have you tried while sending information through Serial (i.e. the CDC serial) on a sketch?

FM,

It runs the program after the boot loader ends(takes about 3~4 seconds on my board).It sets up the USB serial stuff and make use of the RX/TX LEDs. Make sure you get the latest leonardo boot loader from Arduino's Github pages, the one from RC2 is messed up.

I tried running the example serial sketch and the RX and TX LEDs flash as expected.

I changed the fuses to activate the HWB pin and running without the bootloader disables the serial and the RX/TX LEDs( but TX pin is held low so LED is always turned on)

Roy

Thanks for the info. Cheers roypogi

Though I would share that the vinciDuino boards are on their way and soon we will get our hands on with them. This is how they should look. We will keep you posted.

vinciDuino3D.png

Looks nice.
I Philosophically disagree with making SCD/SDL moved away from A4/A5, just because it means any shields that used SCL/SDA will now need some wires added to get those signals.
Some jumpers or solder pads to make that an option would have worked.

Just a small thing, the overlay for D10-13 has the 10s digit on the bottom, I would think it should be on the top.

Is the SDA/SCL placing what the official board will be doing?

Rob