SFTP Programming for Ethernet Arduino

Hello,

Just an idea here, been waiting for the Ethernet arduino to come along for a long time and was kinda hoping that it might have ethernet based programming available through some form of SFTP or similar programming, is this possible and do you think anyone would be working on this?

I don't know where I would start to be honest if I wanted to do it but if someone's working on it I will happily buy a Ethernet Arduino to test it out with you.

Tom

What is SFTP ?

What is SFTP ?

Google says Secure FTP, but how that relates to OP's post, I have no idea.

Well actually I meant TFTP but similar idea.

What I am asking is if it is possible that the bootloader could allow the Ethernet Arduino to be programmed over Ethernet using a standard like TFTP or SFTP similar to how a router or other network device allows you to flash the firmware.

Make sense?

An Arduino cannot be reprogrammed over ethernet AFAIK.

However if you have two of them one can program the other in theory, never done it, ...

interestig read ?:

STFP (secure FTP) and TFTP (trivial FTP) are not at all similar. Yes, they're both used to transfer files, but SFTP uses the SSH protocol to transfer data over an encrypted connection. TFTP is on the opposite end of the security spectrum; it is frequently used to download code and data for embedded or diskless systems on a LAN.

TFTP arduino programming for ethernet capable arduinos would be cool, but care would have to be taken to prevent wearing out the program flash.

-j

(thinking out loud)

TFTP could be used to fetch configuration from Ethernet to EEPROM too

Or use an Arduino with SDcard as TFTP server ?? maybe based upon - http://sourceforge.net/projects/tftp-server/-

I was wondering if the TFTP (Trivial File Transfer Protocol) could be built into the Ethernet Arduino's bootloader so that during the loading if a pin was held high or low it would enter TFTP Programming mode which would in essence allow you to program the Arduino via Ethernet, i.e. via the TFTP protocol, something which many Routers and similar network based devices offer.

I am unsure on if it would A. be possible or B. be something people would be interested in, but primarily, C. I have no idea how it would be implemented.

I knew I was right, they were developing it:

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,37923.0.html

More research discovered this...

Arduino Ethernet board and TFTP Bootloader
This is an unfinished TFTP bootloader for the Arduino Ethernet. The developer that was hired to write it never finished it so we are opening it up to the community in the hope that somebody will fix it and make it work.

It was originally designed to run on both the Arduino Ethernet board and a regular Arduino with Ethernet Shield.

If you intend to work on it, join the Arduino Developers mailing list and let us know.

16 July 2011

So it looks like someone was paid to do it and abandoned us? Well looks interesting, not really sure how to get things moving again on this, anyone able to program in C or Java?

unknowndomain:
I was wondering if the TFTP (Trivial File Transfer Protocol) could be built into the Ethernet Arduino's bootloader so that during the loading if a pin was held high or low it would enter TFTP Programming mode which would in essence allow you to program the Arduino via Ethernet, i.e. via the TFTP protocol, something which many Routers and similar network based devices offer.

I am unsure on if it would A. be possible or B. be something people would be interested in, but primarily, C. I have no idea how it would be implemented.

I was looking forward to this because I could swear that was the idea behind the new Arduino ether they were developing, but it has recently limped into the wild with very little fanfare and it seems like it is actually just an arduino coupled with the arduino shield but combining it to one board, instead of two.

I believe john oxer of freetronics had the jump on them on that in his EtherTen and it even has POE and an sd card.

I know he does great hardware, Im not sure how he is on the software side but I bet he is the one we should be checking in on for this as he definitely has ether and the arduino down.

Hi,

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I've recently written a bootloader for the Arduino Ethernet (or ATmega328p-based Arduinos with an ethernet shield) which does exactly that.
If anyone is brave enough to try it out that would be awesome:

No need to apologize, thank you for sharing!!

You could consider a separate post in the Network section [with a bit longer explanation]

Too little time to start testing, sorry:(