Amanduino - Arduino's clone

Hi!
I created Amanduino. It's acutally a prototype. It has an built-in DS1307 real-time clock and ATmega328. It's smaller (just 48x54mm) than current Arduino but 100% compatible (same pinouts). More about project on www.amanduino.org. You can pre-order my assembled board for $40 (I know that's a lot, but I need money to start), but if I get parts and PCB cheaper I will return some of the money (PayPal). I think it will cost about $25. Waiting for comments :slight_smile:

I must admit that thing seems interestering, especially due to its in built RTC and the 328, but i would have one suggestion. You could, like with the seeduino, add a second row of pins outside the first one which matches a 100mil spacing. that way it would be some very interestering arduinio clone for prototyping..
Also interestering would be - as you have some space left on the right side - an additional (optional) field of 'holes' that are connected to SDA and SCL so that you could have I2C apart from the Anaolog 4 and 5 or you could add some more +5/+3 and GND 'holes' people could populate themselfes...

And lastly ;0) what kind of USB Jack do you use?

Good job anyway - that thing is more than interestering..

I'd also suggest adding extra headers for 5V power and Ground connections. When adding small external circuits, you often need many extra 5V and Ground points, and having them on the main PCB means you don't need an external breadboard.

Thank you for opinions. I modified board, so now there are 3x (SDA, SCL, 5V, GND) pins. New board is online.

Edit
There is Mini-USB Type B on board.

Really interesting. :sunglasses: When do you plan to start building boards?

I really like that new layout..

When do you plan the first prototypes?
Any chance for 100mil spacing all arround? (looks like it is Shield compatible, hence not prototyping board compatible..)

I'm already selling Amanduino in pre-ordering way. As soon as I receive first 10 orders, I will made first Amanduinos boards. They should cost about $25. You can pre-order Amanduino using a PayPal.

I'm sorry, but I was designing Amanduino to be as small as possible and compatible with Arduino in the same time, so there is now space for 100 mils breadboarding ready pinouts (maybe later I will do another board).

Updated board!
Thanks for ideas! I made 4 rows of (VCC, GND, SDA, SCL). I think that's better than 1x3 VCC, 1x3 GND etc... Just look on new board layout.

Since you're board is small enough and you're releasing it as open source, you ought to look at SeeedStudio's Propaganda service. It's a much cheaper way to make boards -- they do 10 boards for $50 or six for $30 if you release your designs.

Nice one. You obviously have a talent for PCB layout.

I think you should reconsider not including another row with proper 0.1" spacing - it would only make the board bigger by 0.1" in the vertical direction, and makes it SO much more flexible

Thank you! I will add two 100 mils rows. I wouldn't resize the board, because I will put pins (optional) on inside part of board (near pinheads). I think that is the best idea. What do you think about this? I will put new schematic later.

Edit
Thank you Ben! This service is so great! That makes me only $50 for 20 boards!

I will add rows of pins and price has gone down. Just $25 (for first 15 orders). You can use PayPal. That PCB Propaganda is great!!! :smiley:

Done! Added 100 mil pins for breadboarding. This the most integrated board which I have ever designed :slight_smile:

I was under the impression that DS1307 requires a battery to work properly.

Battery is optional (to hold the time, when power goes down).

PS. How to quote on this forum?

quoting is someqhat strange here... did never really understand how to..
Anywhow - congrats on the revised design.. looks like you got another buyer ;0)
About the 1307 - the battery is only to hold the time while no other current is connected... although i wonder if it would be doable to add a cpacitor of some kind to keep it ticking while power is off... THAT would be THE big new feature then ;0)

So the time needs to be input somehow every time the board is powered/reset.
If you don't use a battery, make sure Vbat pin is grounded.

There will be a jumper on battery pinheader, so Vbat will be grounded.

A few suggestions/questions/remarks, if I may:

• the second row on the top (D0-13 etc) does not seem to have the .1" spacing;
  • since most of the components are SMT, why not use an SMT crystal/oscillator as well?
  • since many shields that need 3.3V make their own (the 3V3 from FTDI provides only 50mA), it would be a good idea to have that provided by the main board (use the existent 3V pin);
  • why not include an (I2C) EEPROM as well?
  • the extra pins may impede the use of the normal shields;
  • are you going to sell the first batch (for US$25) at a loss? (Even seeedstudio, one of most efficient guys out there only managed to have the 168, without DS1307, for sale at US$27? And remember, they manufacture the boards and have low-price access to components.)
    Otherwise, keep up the good work!

A few suggestions/questions/remarks, if I may:

• the second row on the top (D0-13 etc) does not seem to have the .1" spacing;

That's right - it's a bug. I will correct this in the minutes. Edit: Corrected!

• since most of the components are SMT, why not use an SMT crystal/oscillator as well?

16MHz crystal is SMT, but is quite hard to get 32kHz SMT crystal. I don't like integrated ceramic resonators - they're smaller and cheaper but they don't have the same precision as crystals.

• since many shields that need 3.3V make their own (the 3V3 from FTDI provides only 50mA), it would be a good idea to have that provided by the main board (use the existent 3V pin);

I think if board need to use more than 50mA, board should use own regulator.

• why not include an (I2C) EEPROM as well?

Because ATmega328 has 1kB of EEPROM. The EEPROM will make board more expensive, but I want to make it as cheap as possible. I'm designing another shield where are 4x256kbit EEPROM and uM-FPU floating point coprocessor. I'm planning to implement new floating point type which will use coprocessor by default without any code changes.

• the extra pins may impede the use of the normal shields;

They are not colliding.

• are you going to sell the first batch (for US$25) at a loss? (Even seeedstudio, one of most efficient guys out there only managed to have the 168, without DS1307, for sale at US$27? And remember, they manufacture the boards and have low-price access to components.)

Not really - I planning good profit on them :slight_smile: I need money to start, maybe price will go even down :smiley:

Otherwise, keep up the good work!

Thank you!

PS. I hate this quoting :slight_smile: It's really strange..