Convert String From Serial Data to Numerical Value

PaulS:
You need to be clearer about what you want to do. There is a huge difference between a string and a String. The string is not a class and does not have a toInt() method.

Frankly, you should not be using the String class at all. It has a major problem that is going to, sooner or later, bite you.

Now I'm really lost. My goal is to convert the second string to a value so I can write some algorithms.

This looks like it's converting each ASCII character

String : ASCII

0 : 48
. : 46

Ref: http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ASCIITable

I know this doesn't solve my conversion problem but I'm practicing difference string conversions.

This looks like it's converting each ASCII character

Please don't post code using the invisible font.

atof (Convert string to double)

double = float.

Edit.

This method is used for arrays, not strings.

It most certainly is for strings. It is NOT for non-NULL-terminated arrays of chars.

This will take some time to soak in.

Thanks

I'm not understanding why I'm unable to convert the Liters/Minute to a numberical value.

4.7340 Liters/Minute
0 in HEX

if (sensor_stringcomplete){                                                 //if a string from the Atlas Scientific product has been received in its entirety
      Serial.println(sensorstring);                                             //use the hardware serial port to send that data to the PC

for (int i=6; i<11; i++)  {
    Serial.print(sensorstring[i]);     //print each string character to verify
    float flowLong = (sensorstring[i] - '0');
                }
    Serial.print(flowLong);Serial.println(" Liters/Minute"); 
    if (flowLong < 4.5) {
    Serial.println("FLOW WARNING!!!");
    }
       Serial.print(flowLong,HEX);Serial.println("  in HEX");
       sensorstring = "";                                                      //clear the string buffer:
       sensor_stringcomplete = false;                                          //reset the flag used to tell if we have received a completed string from the Atlas Scientific product
       }

Start by fixing your indenting; it's atrocious and makes it very difficult to follow.

for (int i=6; i<11; i++)  {
    float flowLong = (sensorstring[i] - '0');
  }

So loop through 5 characters in a string, creating a new float variable, assigning it a variable, and discarding it.

When you declare a variable like you are doing here, it is only valid inside the innermost curly braces. So the flowLong you create here isn't the same as the flowLong as you are printing to the screen. Not that fixing the scope issue will fix your issue; the algorithm you are using make absolutely no sense and will only result in floatLong containing the numeric value of the last digit.

Drop the String object. Use c style strings and atof().

Simple servo code that takes a numerical string from the serial monitor and converts it into a number for controlling a servo.

//zoomkat 3-5-12 simple delimited ',' string parce 
//from serial port input (via serial monitor)
//and print result out serial port
// CR/LF could also be a delimiter

String readString;
#include <Servo.h> 
Servo myservo;  // create servo object to control a servo 

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600);

myservo.writeMicroseconds(1500); //set initial servo position if desired
  myservo.attach(7);  //the pin for the servo control 
  Serial.println("servo-delomit-test-22-dual-input"); // so I can keep track of what is loaded
}

void loop() {

//expect a string like 700, or 1500, or 2000,
  //or like 30, or 90, or 180,

if (Serial.available())  {
    char c = Serial.read();  //gets one byte from serial buffer
    if (c == ',') {
      if (readString.length() >1) {
        Serial.println(readString); //prints string to serial port out

int n = readString.toInt();  //convert readString into a number

// auto select appropriate value, copied from someone elses code.
        if(n >= 500)
        {
          Serial.print("writing Microseconds: ");
          Serial.println(n);
          myservo.writeMicroseconds(n);
        }
        else
        {   
          Serial.print("writing Angle: ");
          Serial.println(n);
          myservo.write(n);
        }

//do stuff with the captured readString 
        readString=""; //clears variable for new input
      }
    }  
    else {     
      readString += c; //makes the string readString
    }
  }
}

What is the syntax to convert to floating?

int n = readString.toInt();

Easy, readString.toFloat();

Check this out,
http://mootools.net/docs/core/Types/Number

HazardsMind:

Check this out,
MooTools Core Documentation

Uhm, not sure what I'm doing wrong.

int n = readString.toFloat();

error: 'class String' has no member named 'toFloat'

HazardsMind:

Not included with Arduino's version of the String object library, much like sprintf() doesn't accept the %f format specifier.

Arrch:

HazardsMind:

Not included with Arduino's version of the String object library, much like sprintf() doesn't accept the %f format specifier.

Hi Arrrch,
Does this mean its not possible to convert a string to float in Arduino?

There is a patch you need to download to get .toFloat().
http://www.timewasters-place.com/arduino-string-and-float/

Also you wouldn't store a float value in an int, you would put it in a double.
So,
double n = readString.toFloat();

chiques:
Hi Arrrch,

Consider it a sign to stop using Strings and take a few minutes to learn about strings.

Hi Arrrch,

I took a look at the references you mention explaining strings but it still does not explain how to read strings coming in from the serial port.

On a good note, I was able to isolate the variables of interest (after the second comma)

For now I am willing to settle to convert the second string in to a integer. The problem I ran in to is I'm unable to save the string of digits in to an array for later use.

if (sensor_stringcomplete)                                                  //if a string from the Atlas Scientific product has been received in its entirety
{
    Serial.println(sensorstring);                                             //use the hardware serial port to send that data to the PC

for (int i=6; i<11; i++)
    {
        Serial.print(sensorstring[i]);
        int f = sensorstring[i].toInt();
    }

Serial.println(" this is the string of interest");

sensorstring = "";                                                      //clear the string buffer:
    sensor_stringcomplete = false;                                          //reset the flag used to tell if we have received a completed string from the Atlas Scientific product
}

Unfortunately int f = sensorstring[i].toInt(); does not work. I would also assume it would be out of the scope to use this value outside the brackets.

If I simply use int f = sensorstring.toInt(); it compiles but that is only the first string before the first comma.

Arrch:

chiques:
Hi Arrrch,

Consider it a sign to stop using Strings and take a few minutes to learn about strings.

If it only takes a few minutes to learn the strings answer, how about posting up the needed code.

zoomkat:

Arrch:

chiques:
Hi Arrrch,

If it only takes a few minutes to learn the strings answer, how about posting up the needed code.

I don't usually write code for people; not part of my philosophy on teaching. I realize your philosophy differs greatly from that.

Luckily I happen to have simple example sitting on my computer:

/*
 * Example for Serial2Int
 * When reading from the serial monitor, there are two important things to note:
 * (1) Bytes are read one at a time. So when sending "246", will be read by your
 * code as '2', then '4', then '6'. If you want to identify them as related in some
 * way, you need a way to determine that. This example uses start and stop bytes.
 * (2) Sending a number through the monitor sends it's ASCII representation, not
 * the value itself. So typing 3 and hitting enter would send '3' or 51 as per the
 * ascii table. To account for this, we will be using atoi(), which takes a null
 * terminated array of chars, also known as a string, and produces the int equivalent.
 */

// To send a number through the serial monitor, put it between brackets
const char startByte = '<';
const char stopByte = '>';

// Maximum characters in an int + null terminated character
const byte maxBuffer = 6;

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(57600);
  Serial.println("[Serial2Int]");
}

void loop() {
  // Stores the characters between the start and stop bytes
  static char buffer[maxBuffer];
  // Keeps track of spot in buffer
  static byte index=0;

if (Serial.available() > 0 ) {
    char inChar = Serial.read();

if (inChar==startByte) { // If start byte is received
      index=0; // then reset buffer and start fresh
    } else if (inChar==stopByte) { // If stop byte is received
      processData(buffer); // and process the data
      index=0; // this isn't necessary, but helps limit overflow
    } else { // otherwise
      buffer[index] = inChar; // put the character into our array
      index++; // and move to the next key in the array
      buffer[index] = '\0'; // then null terminate
    }

/* Overflow occurs when there are more than 5 characters in between
     * the start and stop bytes. This has to do with having limited space
     * in our array. We chose to limit our array to 5 (+1 for null terminator)
     * because an int will never be above 5 characters */
    if (index>=maxBuffer) {
      index=0;
      Serial.println("Overflow occured, next value is unreliable");
    }
  }
}

void processData(char buffer[]) {
  unsigned int value = atoi(buffer); // convert string to int
  Serial.print("Value: ");
  Serial.println(value);
}

Hi Arrrch,
I never meant to cause frustration or the obligation for a hand out. I chose Arduino because of the vast amount of sample code I can read and practice with along with the awesome support by so many vendors (including this forum). Yes, my philosophy to learn is to try (actual hands on); and keep trying until it works. I exhaust all literature that I can understand. I avoid inconveniencing those around me until I am too "lost in the woods". Right now I feel like I'm in the Amazon by some ancient undiscovered Mayan village.

That being said, thank you for the example. I will use it as a study example along with the rest of the recommendations on this thread to try to understand this functionality as much as possible.

chiques:
Hi Arrrch,
I never meant to cause frustration or the obligation for a hand out. I chose Arduino because of the vast amount of sample code I can read and practice with along with the awesome support by so many vendors (including this forum). Yes, my philosophy to learn is to try (actual hands on); and keep trying until it works. I exhaust all literature that I can understand. I avoid inconveniencing those around me until I am too "lost in the woods". Right now I feel like I'm in the Amazon by some ancient undiscovered Mayan village.

My previous reply was directed at Zoomkat.