Next sep in .wav playback?

Hi gang... =)

I am waiting on a few things to arrive (as far as pre-made shields..etc)..

however I am curious if I can start playing around with .wav playback (even in a crippled or not great sound quality playback fashion)

I have odds-n-ends for components.. caps/resistors..breadboards...switches..etc..etc

I have soldered a 90 degree header pin to an SD card adapter so I can read my micro SD cards with/through it..

I have wired up the SD card as seen in most of the tuts/links here.. (using a resistor approach to logic/level shift the 5v to 3.3v for the sd card)

I loaded and use both SD library and the sdfat library.. both loaded and read card info (and all cards I tried) perfectly..

I loaded some of the sample sketches and ran them.. again.. everything seems 'fine'...

I would like to try and play a simple .wav file on the SD card with a button press (simple project goal) :slight_smile:

However I have no DAC.. (never even used one before.. and dont know anything about them really)..

******(side note: if anyone has an average, no dual, common, breadboard friendly version of a DAC to recommend.. Id appreciate it for easier testing)

That being said..I do have some lm386 amps laying around still.. and a RadioShack amplified speaker... (or even a regular old hobby, non amplified speaker)

I guess Im asking for some pointers in the next direction to keep learning chipping away at this. (please no stupid or snarky comments..constructive help/comments please)

1.) where do I begin to read/play a .wav file from the SD?

I saw the wav shield page at Adafruit.. and found the waveHC library... (AF_Wav in your Arduino IDE >> Examples)
but it seems to have an OLD date? 2008? Still the (public) 'library' of choice for this?

Some help on what I need next to be able to hear the audio (at least in some fashion) would be appreciated and also any suggestions on code samples or newer libraries.

thanks

There is an 8 bit software wav player that should work for you. I forget the name but if you search here for "cylon pumpkin" you'll find a project where i used it.

Thanks...

I'll search for it.

Hopefully get back to messing with this over the weekend.

by 8-bit do you mean PWM audio output?

Also..(looking for ward a bit)

Can you/anyone recommend a DAC to be used? (cheap and decent).. for breadboard use? So I can couple it with an LM386 amp..and try to produce NOT PWM audio output?.. or having to convert the .wav files to anything?

Lastly.. anyone know of or use a nice library for .wav playback? form SD card? (not PWM or anything that requires you to convert the .wav files)

Thanks

search through my posts