Programmer is not responding

Hello.

I have made my own Arduino Duemilanove with Atmega168. When I click on the “Upload to I/O Board” button in the Arduino IDE I'm getting an error:

Binary sketch size: 976 bytes (of a 14336 byte maximum)

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

Operating system is Mac OS X. I tried all driver versions but I'm still getting the same error. I think board and serial port is selected right.
But on Windows XP, my Arduino works perfect. Windows is installed on Mac with Parallels.

I think its software problem. What I'm doing wrong?

Any suggestions?

no idea. Check if it works on a windows machine or if the board is damaged.

How did you put the bootloader to the Atmega168 of your own Arduino?

On PC with Windows XP the Arduino works perfect. On Mac with Windows XP it works perfect too. But on Mac with Mac OS X Leopard the Arduino doesn't work. When I click on upload button RX LED flashes few times and I get that error.

The bootloader is burnt with USB Tiny ISP through the Arduino IDE.

I don't like to use Arduino with Mac OS because the FTDI drivers "are not good".
Maybe try to reinstall the drivers (uninstall them and then reinstall them)...
I can upload sketches via Arduino IDE on Leopard, so at least it is possible (using Arduino 0014).

I tried to reinstall drivers; also I tried other versions of Arduino IDE. I think there is only one way out of a situation – reinstall Mac OS X :-/

Did you select the proper type of Arduino from the Tools > Boards menu, when running on the native MacOS?

Yes, I selected "Arduino Diecimila or Duemilanove w/ ATmega168". Also I have tried all other types.
When I click on upload button, RX led flashes like on windows xp without ATmega168 chip. It seems that Arduino IDE can't see ATmega168 chip.

I give up. Nothing works. :frowning:

It still doesn't work. That's what I see, when I have enabled upload.verbose in Arduino preferences file.

Binary sketch size: 896 bytes (of a 14336 byte maximum)
hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -Chardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -pm168 -cstk500v1 -P/dev/tty.usbserial-A80083bt -b19200 -D -Uflash:w:/Users/ernis/Desktop/arduino-0016/examples/Digital/Blink/applet/Blink.hex:i 

avrdude: Version 5.4-arduino, compiled on Oct  9 2007 at 11:20:31
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/

System wide configuration file is "hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"
         User configuration file is "/Users/ernis/.avrduderc"
         User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port            : /dev/tty.usbserial-A80083bt
         Using Programmer      : stk500v1
         Overriding Baud Rate  : 19200
avrdude: Send: 0 [30]   [20] 
avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: Send: Q [51]   [20] 
avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding

Try pressing the reset button on the board a second or so before - or just at the same time as - pressing the upload button in the IDE. The board should reset automatically, but maybe it's not for some reason.

I use a Mac and my Arduino works fine.