question for forum administrator "Problem uploading file"

Attempted to add a pic to my post

Tried to add a pic to

i2c RTC and pcf8574 - LEDs and Multiplexing - Arduino Forum post at 6:18am and 6:26am 31 Aug

Tried several times

I have added similar size pics before

response by forum

There was a problem during the uploading of bb_switches.jpg.
Your post has been made, however the above attachment was not attached. Please use the Back button to edit your post and submit any required changes.
Your attachment has failed security checks and cannot be uploaded. Please consult the forum administrator.

The jpg is 195,343 bytes malware on my pc says its virus free

How have I offended ????

I find that JPGs from my camera are not accepted - even when resized with GIMP and saved as a different file. I wonder is it because of some or all of the EXIF data. Converting to a PNG using GIMP makes them acceptable. The JPG is also accepted if I create it from the PNG file - the JPG is smaller.

...R

Well the jpg is 191 kb saved as a png it goes to 1,367kb which is TOO BIG,

I used cropper on windows to grab the pic off of the screen that was displaying a 3MB pic, so, it just grabs the screen pixels not the original pic. I have done that previously and had no issues with files that have been 112 kb

I just added a 95kb file to the above post and that worked. Maybe my 191kb file was just too big, the advice on posts say 200 kb but I guess 191 is close to 200.

Thanks

191 plus overheads (packing, attributes, etc) would probably take it above 200.

A file size is often two different numbers the raw basic size and the size inc overheads.
It had me with other things and the pictures here of course.

Think R2 may have mentioned it in a long distant thread too.

Robin2:
I wonder is it because of some or all of the EXIF data.

That. GPS coordinates are a good example.

Get a tool that strips EXIF data. Windows 10 is not that tool.

I know it is a very round-about route but it seems to me that converting from JPG to PNG followed by PNG back to JPG creates a JPG that can be uploaded.

I needed to do this yesterday to upload 3 pics because the combined size was too big when they were PNG files and the original JPG versions were rejected.

...R

The GIMP lets you edit exif data too.

Lots of people have absolutely no idea what data is accompanying your picture, certainly those that are made with a smart phone.
A while back i told someone complaining about some problem (which i can't remember any more) that their Huawei phone did not meet some specifications (or something along that line).
That person was shocked how someone unknown, knew what phone they used to shoot that picture and at what location it was taken.

If you don't know this, this can be a real privacy threat.

MAS3:
The GIMP lets you edit exif data too.

There is a lot in GIMP that I have never explored (maybe 80% of it is terra-incognito :slight_smile: ). Next time I will see if deleting all the EXIF data satisfies this Forum.

...R