I want to build an autonomous GPRS weather station

My major concern is instead receiving and decoding the RF signal. :-?

Your 8110-AC-RX2 does the same thing as the RF Link 4800bps Receiver - 434MHz from SparkFun i was looking at: RF Link 4800bps Receiver - 434MHz - WRL-08950 - SparkFun Electronics - it's just a receiver.

The 8110-RTFSAW is a tranciever.

So yes, basically both will work.

To pick up and decode the signal form the anemometer and the rain sensor i will use the Freetronics 433MHz Receiver Shield: Arduino Shield List: Freetronics 433MHz Receiver Shield

I will order one today and i hope it will work. I also found a Seeeduino V2.2 (Atmega 328P) board here in zagreb and bought it. i first thought to get a UNO board, but i didn't want to wait for it to long so i got this one instead. Should do fine i suppose. This is the board: http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/seeeduino-v22-atmega-328p-p-669.html
This is the actual ad i got it from (a local calssifieds website): Arduino clone - Seeeduino

Looks like Auriol h13726 is identical to Ventus W155 and Hawa EWS 1500:

Hama EWS 1500:

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Home-Gadgets/Hama/Hama-EWS-1500-Professional-Weather-Station

Ventus W155

http://www.ventusdesign.com/products/w155-weather-station-with-rain-gauge-and-anemometer/

Yes, these kind of stations are manufactured by different companies under different brands/names.
Here's another one:

Meteoscan W155/W160

If just for one of them would be available tech spec on transmission protocol!
Or if anybody had already reverse engineered one of them! :-?

I don't really think this will be a big issue, we just have to see what others have done, i don't expect there to be much difference in the protocols used between this and other stations/sensors that work on 433.92MHz as they are pretty standard. Will have to read some more tho.

I guess we have identified the brands under which this same weather station is sold in different countries, and that is a good thing.

Great news!
Reading around on other forums, I found out that we do not even need a receiver! We can just connect the "official" receiver to PC through the audio board to be able to detect the signals and reverse engineer it!

This is the result for an Oregon Scientific sensor (TH138) I have (for another weather station):

I used this sensor because it only transmits temperature values and because somebody else already examined a sensor similar to this one:
http://alyer.frihost.net/thn128decoding.htm

Examining the Auriol sensors will be a bit more tricky as they transmit quite complex data:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I don't know which sensor(s) transmitted these data, as all of them were powered; it will be easy to grab just the udometer (by un-powering all the others), but it will be quite tricky to separate data for Temperature, Wind and umidity! :-?

I tried with another sensor I have, a simple thermometer: it should be easier to decode... but I can't!
Can anybody help?
I highlighted values represented by the waveforms.

Ok, I got it:

Now I'll try with the station.

How is it working out for you?

@jumpjack: it looks like you're making great progress!

Would you mind providing some detail about how you connected the receiver to the sound card?

Jon
Arduino Shield List: http://shieldlist.org

I opened the receiving station, and I located the receiver part: it's a small circuit physically separated from the main; it is connected through 3 wires, labeled as GND, PWR and (unreadable); of course I guessed (unreadable) was the signal. :wink:

So, I connected GND to GND of the earphone cable connected to PC, and SIGNAL to one channel of the cable.
Then I used Audacity to record "sound", using a MONO track: I had to determine by 2 random attempts which wire to connect to to get the signal recorded.
Then it was just a matter of sitting and waiting for signal bursts to come from the thermometer. :wink:

How is it working out for you?

Didn't yet have enough time to examine weather station data (they're very complex, and I seeone short signal every 30 seconds and one long and complex signal every 4 minutes, it's quite hard to figure out what's going on).
Besides, I'm not able to use the RX I bought to get the signals, I'm missing something... Isn't it enough to connect GND, VCC and RX oin these small devices?

Very interesting stuff! I will try to replicate what you did and see if i can come up with anything. I noticed the LED on my anemometer assembly flashes red every 30 seconds, but i didn't know there is a signal sent every 4 minutes.

Weird thing is that not each led flash corresponds to a radio burst sent! :-? Maybe it also indicates "data stored for further processing"? :-?

The "4 minutes stuff" can also be guessed from the instruction manual, which says that first synchronization among sensor and base can require up to 4 minutes. :wink:

Yes, the 4 minutes ringed a bell, i immediately looked it up, the manual says the base station needs approx. 4 minutes to sync with the sensors, but only for the first time you set it up, or when you need to change the batteries. It doesn't say it syncs every 4 minutes on its own. Are you suggesting that it is? Because if that signal is complex as you say it is, than that's got to be it.

"Data stored for further processing" could mean only one thing, it is stored in temporary memory and used to calculate the average values of wind speed, wind chill and possibly everything else measured.

Yes, the 4 minutes ringed a bell, i immediately looked it up, the manual says the base station needs approx. 4 minutes to sync with the sensors, but only for the first time you set it up, or when you need to change the batteries. It doesn't say it syncs every 4 minutes on its own. Are you suggesting that it is? Because if that signal is complex as you say it is, than that's got to be it.

I only saw that the 4-mins signal is 3-4 times longer than the 30-secs signal, didn't examine it.

"Data stored for further processing" could mean only one thing, it is stored in temporary memory and used to calculate the average values of wind speed, wind chill and possibly everything else measured.

It's just my idea, I didn't read it anywhere. Don't know if there is onboard processing in sensor.

About the gsm maybe u should check

http://code.google.com/p/sserial2mobile/
and if it has to be a module, i think this 1 is 1 of cheapest, i might be wrong
http://www.cooking-hacks.com/index.php/arduino-gprs-module.html

Thanks for that post from HackADay, it will help. Sserial2mobile i found a month ago and i'm looking into it. And the Arduino GRPS module is indeed one of the cheapest i have seen yet, i think i will get that one.

GPRS modems for 25$ is a very cool news, thanks! But I see I should connect the modem to the arduino through TX and RX pins of a pl2303 chip, which is just an USB-serial converter; as such a converter costs around 10$, should we guess that some GPRS serial modem exist and are sold for 15$ ?!?