How to write data to internal EEPROM. Arduino due.

nacksina:

Step 1. Put internal EEPROM into the Cortex M3 chip (carefully!)
Step 2. Use it.

In all seriousness, the Due has no EEPROM at all. There is the possibility to store things in the FLASH memory but, since it gets totally erased every time you program the Due, this is not ideal. So, really, if you need EEPROM you've got to put it on a shield.

Collin80:
Step 1. Put internal EEPROM into the Cortex M3 chip (carefully!)

Hmm yes true, if someone can make an deal with the controller on the programming port as EEPROM.

Collin80:
In all seriousness, the Due has no EEPROM at all. There is the possibility to store things in the FLASH memory but, since it gets totally erased every time you program the Due, this is not ideal. So, really, if you need EEPROM you've got to put it on a shield.

If someone can mod the firmware for sending special commands over uart to let the controller know someone will use the EEPROM from the controller to store or get some data.

Another thread noted that the DUE board uses an ATmega16U2 to handle USB interface (instead of an FTDI chip on some other Arduinos). The ATmega16U2 has EEPROM.
http://arduino.cc/en/Main/arduinoBoardDue states "... The 16U2 is also connected to the SAM3X hardware UART...." .
Can this be used ?

Could you not use something like an SPI-interface magnetic FRAM? Speed of any other SRAM, but non-volatile.

The 16U2 is also connected to the SAM3X hardware UART...." .
Can this be used ?

Yes it could if someone writes the code for both ends.

Could you not use something like an SPI-interface magnetic FRAM?

Yes you could if someone writes the code.

I think I spot an opportunity for a bright young lad. :slight_smile:

Rob

I may have the requirement for FRAM in a project I'm working on at the moment, i'll let you know over the next couple of days if I'll be going ahead, but with an SD card on the board aswell - it dosen't perhaps make sense to add more memory.

Graynomad:

The 16U2 is also connected to the SAM3X hardware UART...." .
Can this be used ?

Yes it could if someone writes the code for both ends.

I think I spot an opportunity for a bright young lad. :slight_smile:

It requires a little software and hardware mod, but it works. See my writeup at New Arduino Due Library: DueEEPROM - Libraries - Arduino Forum