The Magic Candle

RamJam:
Each LED is independantly controled to do pretty much anything you wish them to do. Such as flicker like a candle, flicker like a guttering lamp, flash, fade in and out, be of a particular colour, and have variation in brightness. Or have it set as colour temperature adjustable, so that it only puts out light where the spectrum is weakest.

So, depending on your requirements you need to choose what sketch is to be downloaded to the candle.

Now, I can think of dozens of permutations, applications and uses that this candle could be put to. However, I don't want to have to keep redesigning brand new enclosures every time a new upgrade comes along. And I want it to be backward compatible with the battery box, and other modules.

I think for a user it isn't very practical to have to upload a new sketch each time they want the Magic Candle to do something different.
Maybe it would be better if in your sketch you can write all the different permutations or patterns that you like, and then you can add to the enclosure a couple of buttons (or it can even be made with you IR remote) to let the user cycle and chose the permutation they wish.