[SOLVED] Where do I go to get specific feeds, minus all the foreign parts?

That’s interesting. The “International” category is 6 so I should just be able to use the url

However, Google Reader isn’t having any of it. It doesn’t like any the key-value pairs passed to the php app. For example, if I give it:

it doesn’t accept it.

Nor:

Nor

But it does accept:

But then I’m potentially back where I started.

Would it be easier just to tell the rest of the world to only speak English? I recall there was an initiative to do precisely that a few hundred years ago, by people I’m not related to (or if I am, they spent all the money before I was born).

mowcius:
First I think we need to change terminology, since the new forum has a different paradigm of use.

• A Category is a group of Boards.
  • A Board contains Topics
  • A Topic is the equivalent to a post

So, when you talk about Threads, you refer to a Board or to a Topic?

For the full explanation of what you can do with SMF regarding RSS, please read:

Ian:

I am sorry to say but the most spoken (western) language in the world is Spanish, I wonder how good you are in that, since you are suggesting we should all write in it :wink:

Letting the jokes aside, Google Reader needs to get the feed with the right header. The way to make this is by adding a "type=atom" at the end of your feed, like:

that will make it.

/d

Also, on mowcius’ point, there’s the distinction between two cases in feed reading:

• Do I only want to see new topics posted (ie, the original posting as it stands now, with perhaps a few immediate replies that have occurred by that time)
or
• Do I want to see every new post that occurs, not distinguishing between newly originated posts, and their replies.

Ah, thanks for the atom url.

Except that it doesn’t do the job - still letting international posts in. I don’t know why either. Oh well.

Now, where did I bookmark website on learning Chinese?

Ok, so the functionality you guys are missing is the one in the first point, am I wrong?

This might be of interest:

(it’ll take all day to read, though, it's long!).

I think that point is to do with key value pair of “sa=news”, at a guess.

My point was not that, but I’m interested in it. My point was just getting a feed in English (and maybe I’ll let some american in too).

Ian:

but when you make the call with c=1,2,3,4,5 are you still getting international messages? I have tried it out myself and it comes out right every time.

Yes.

For example, with the given url

a message beginning:

Re: Le nouveau forum
by SamoLaw
En ce qui concerne

was included.

I see,

this might eventually be a bug in SMF's core. We will have to look into it, I just add it to my to-do list.

/d

What if we tried it with boards instead of categories?

I tried with boards and it worked nicely, but then you need to add a lot of boards to your list

Do you still have a list handy? Looks like under 30 of them at a guess?

Aha. This should work for “Community” on its own (although in Google reader it’s coming up as only “Website and forum”:

And I get only the initial post on each one.

[edit]: Hmm, yes it is only paying attention to “Website and forum” — for example, the “first post” entry in ”bar sport” isn’t present in the Google Reader list.

[further edit] aha, and if I increase ‘limit’ to limit=30, I pick up all 14 original posts but only in “Website and forum’. However, if I reverse the order of the ‘board‘ value list to board=30,29,28,27,26,25,24 what I get is one post only, which is the “First Post?” entry in “Bar Sport”. Interesting.

Aha - “board’ gives the first board number in the list and ignores the rest. ‘boards’ plural will pay attention to the whole list. Nice. Try this:

Arduino Forum;

This gives the first post only, in only “Community”. In board order (not my reversed order).

This is what I’ve collated so far:

Using Arduino: Arduino Forum;
Topics: Arduino Forum;
Development: Arduino Forum;
Community: Arduino Forum;
International: Arduino Forum;
General Category: Arduino Forum;

What's the highest the limit can be set to?

255, or when the hosting company encourages you to rapidly make other arrangements, whichever is sooner, I suppose.

Heh - it's only google :smiley: