Due Binary Sizes. Double the memory of Mega, may not double the capabilities?

Uno has 32KB of flash memory
Mega has 256KB of flash memory
Due has 512KB of flash memory
Let's ignore the SRAMS, EPROMS and space taken up by boatloaders.

I selected Due (have 3 of them) becuase of the large memory footprint. However, I've read that the binaries produced by the sketches are some 8 to 10x larger. I would assume this holds true for the attached libraries as well. If this is true, than the Due will be far less capable than the Mega in terms of sketch size. I won't be able to do as much....but rather less....only faster (16Mhz - 84Mhaz).

Has anyone moved a large project from Mega to Due and found their just wasn't enough space for the compiled code?

In my experience the most important resource is SRAM, is much more probable that this resource get consumed instead of Flash memory.

ODwyerPW:
I selected Due (have 3 of them) becuase of the large memory footprint. However, I've read that the binaries produced by the sketches are some 8 to 10x larger.

This is wrong: if you compile Blink the binary is about 10x size, because the sketch contains Blink + ARM initialization code that is common to all sketches.

If you want to do a more fair benchmark you should start with a plain blink, look at the size, add some instruction, look again at the increased size, and compute the delta.
But this is still a non-fair benchmark, since if the code is optimized for AVR it can compile worse in ARM and vice-versa (for example ARM could do 32bit operation in one instruction while AVR needs 4 operations, but probably moving 1 byte need 1 operation for AVR but could be more than one operation on ARM because of memory alignment etc.)

It's not a simple question.