What do you prefer for an extreme small Arduino?

Some thoughts under experiment:
It could be based on 4mm*4mm MU series,
It could be stackable by FPC,
It could reuse current shield whenever necessary,
It could be as small as a stamp,
It could be as thin as a bookmark,
It could be scrolled around your wrist,
It could be attached in your belt,
And it could still be a full functional arduino...

Sounds interesting. My favorite points:

1. And it could still be a full functional arduino...
  2. It could be as small as a stamp

Lefty

It could be as small as a stamp,
It could be as thin as a bookmark,
It could still be a full functional arduino,
It could be under $10

Small means it can be put in more things - a tiny lilypad the size of a button perhaps. Could all the pins be in a 0.1" pitch grid, packed in 2 rows round the edge? LED in the centre on top, chip on underside.

We might have only 10 0.1" pitch holes for easy prototyping, and keep the rest for FPC connection, like stacking shields but in a chain way.

Start with this and see what you can improve:

http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/

What I would like to see is a pin-for-pin replacement of the ATMega8/168/328 - basically a small PCB (could be larger than the socket), with 0.1" spaced male-header "legs" that could be fit into the socket. It wouldn't have to be more powerful than the standard ATMega.

I guess what I worry about is what happens to prototyping with our Arduinos and breadboards when we can no longer get the DIP versions? What happens when we can no longer get them, and we accidentally blow our chips? I would hope that somebody somewhere would have created a replacement that could easily plug into the Arduino PCB. If it were more powerful in some manner, that would be a bonus.

With that said, even a chip-like, "Basic Stamp"-like "chip" PCB that could be used for prototyping on a breadboard would be welcome; something that could be easily embedded into other products and such - maybe it could become the core for a successor to the Arduino?

I can't wait to see what you guys come up with!

:slight_smile:

If it is so small it is likely to go into battery powered devices. I would want:

1. switching regulator
  2. option for watch crystal instead of 16 MHz crystal

Udo

Yeah, I think you're on to something there... If it's small, it should have some buck up or whatever to be used with a single cell lipo or 2 AAs or even a 3V coin cell. A modular concept, small and thin modules that can be mounted everywhere would be great to have.

• Wrist-watch format, with 2x12 LEDs all around
  • on board radio module (e.g. RFM12)