Binary Conversion to Sound????

Hey all, I have a project that I have wanted to do for a long time that I thought might be feasible with my arduino. I have been un able to find a software solution for this so now Im checking here.

What I want to do is input BINARY code to the arduino (say through the serial monitor or something like that)
and then I want the arduino to convert that binary code into a sound (that can be sent out on a pin as mono or through a speaker etc) But it needs to be sound that you can hear. Essential I want the arduino to convert it and allow me to record it (say on mp3 player or something)....

THEN I also need to be able to:

Input the sound back into the arduino (maybe back over mono 1 pin connection and the arduino convert it back to binary and export it back over the serial connection.

Anyone here have any Idea how I may accomplish this?
I have been looking on the t for several months now and have found nothing. Any help woudl be greatly appreciated. THanks! in advance!

Frequency Shift Keying will do this, its how early home computers saved programs to cassette tapes and dialup modems worked. :slight_smile:

What kind of binary data? Just one bit (on or off)?

What kind of sound? Just some kind of tone?

Are you trying to make something like a telegraph or Morse code machine? If you want something that makes a tone when the input is 1, and no tone (or a different tone) when the input is 0, you can do that with an Arduino, but you don't really need a "brain chip" or programming for that. :wink:

Essentially what I want to do (in laymans terms) is:

• Write a message or use some text
  • Convert is into binary code (using some online converter or something)
  • send the binary cod to the arduino (maybe through serial connection (the monitor) or somethign like that
  • Have the arduino take the binary code and convert it to sound that can be output on one of the pins (so I can record it into an external device.
  • I also want to do the same in reverse but this is the main process for now.

http://sree.cc/electronics/arduino-as-an-fsk-modem