Is it possible to control a radiator-valve (heating) in my livingroom.

Hi All

I´m new to Arduino and bad spelling eng. too :slight_smile:

I wonder if its possible to control a radiator-valve (heating) in my livingroom.
I'm planning to use a 9G servo for the valve( /tap ) and a termister, I also want a switch to close the valve if door is open for more than 60 sec.
First I'm thinking about battery for power the 5V (later on maby sunpowercells)
If somthing change at termister or switch, only do somting if it have change and change for over 1 minute etc.
Any body done that before, and what experience do you have ?
What about batt. saving power ( / programing )
dont want the servo running all the time (using power + mecanic waste)
I just want to make it simpel to start with.
Then it could be nice to use a ATtiny85 for the projekt.
But first I have to learn to put the program together :cold_sweat:
The hardest thing for me is, to increment the sensor with the servo.

Thanks for any answer, that kick me forward :wink:
Jørgen Hansen

How much torque can the servo produce? Is it enough to turn the valve ? Can you provide a link to it ?

The things that you want to do are all possible using an Arduino but relying on solar power may not be such a good idea.

No problem, I get a bigger if its too small
If it will be necessary, dont think so.
there must also be a spring, which ensures that the servo is not overloaded if the valve is closed, and therefore can not reach its posi-tion.
there is not much resistance in the valve, if I make a gearing 1:2 there is plenty of power
micro server: ? Stall Torque: 1.5kg/cm to 4.8V.
Hope´d the sun cell could extend the life of a battery.(only a future wish)
My quest is more like: getting servo rotating smoothly when the change along with the thermostat so that celcius match the number of degrees, such as from 0 to 30 °
Thanks for the reply.

Making the mechanical parts seems like the hardest part of this problem, but you sound as if you have figured this part out. You might want to bear in mind that typical static radiator valves are only not designed for occasional operation and may suffer from wear if they're adjusted repeatedly. If you were using a valve from a thermostatic radiator valve I'd expect that to be more suitable for continuous use, but note that these would need a completely different type of drive.

If you only wanted to turn the radiator off when certain conditions were met (door open too long, etc) that seems easy enough. If you actually want it to control the temperature to a specific value then that would be more complicated and would probably involve using either a proportional control or PID a feedback algorithm.