Measuring a very fine wire with 10 µm precision

Hello all, I want to thank you for your participation in this thread so far. My name is Dan and am Boots507's colleague. I would like to better explain our motivation for creating "perfectly" wound coils. In Non-Destructive Testing (eddy-current), electromagnetic coils interact with conducting samples via induction processes. Theoretical models can be compared to experimentally acquired data in order to infer geometrical and electrical properties of the sample. However, this approach requires integrating the electric filed over the cross-section of the coil. Thus, these solutions are highly sensitive to the quality of the coil. More explicitly, they assume that the coil has a uniform turn density and a rectangular cross-section. Therefore, we need a machine that creates ideally stacked coils.

An exact solution gives the theoretical inductance of a coil based on inner diameter, outer diameter and number of turns (uniform turn density and rectangular cross-section). Coils that I have wound very carefully by hand agree almost perfectly, whereas sloppily wound coils deviate significantly.