Looks like we have clones that look real

I know that Arduino schematic is open source under creative commons but the name is trademarked and copyright

i purchased a Arduino UNO thinking it was a legitimate Arduino product and what i got is a clone that you cant tell is a clone unless you really compare with a real one

its so similar to a real one right down to colour and screenprinting back and front

the main feature so far that stands out a million miles and tells me its a clone is the Polyfuse

the Legit R3 UNO has a fuse what is black with gold text 501K

and the clone has a green one with 5X5 on it

I thought I'd share this purely for people buying Arduinos expecting a legit one and getting a clone. If you know its a clone and brought it then hey that's users choice

Are there any other symptoms? Does it say "Made In Italy"?

There was a long thread somewheres on this forum recently about this issue. There
were some Mega boards being sold from CN at about 20% the "usual" price, and with
the exact same silkscreening, including saying "Made in Italy", as on boards sold at the
usual price. I guess they take 'open-hardware' to mean identical silk-screening.

johnwasser:
Are there any other symptoms? Does it say "Made In Italy"?

YEP

it says it all the Italy mark, the website address everything

its pretty much identical

i will take a picture later for you to see

silverfox0786:
the main feature so far that stands out a million miles and tells me its a clone is the Polyfuse

the Legit R3 UNO has a fuse what is black with gold text 501K

and the clone has a green one with 5X5 on it

Is this in and of itself enough to declare it a clone? Might not the official boards use parts from different sources?

I agree that in itself is not definitive evidence, sourcing parts do change from time to time. I go more by price, if it's significantly cheaper then most of the 'official' arduino distributors sell it for it's most likely a clone. Follow the money.

Lefty

defo a clone

and yeah it was cheaper

£10 compared to maplin £24.99

here are the differences I can see circled in RED

forgot to mention in images

the RESET EN label on clone reads RESET ON

I'd knock 25% off the Maplin price, they overcharge for everything, So long as it works and is of decent build quality i'll but it clone or not, but i dont agree with copies being passed off as originals, it does amuse me how people will buy a cheap hardware and moan about the quality expecting it to be as good as something 3x the price.

P18F4550:
I'd knock 25% off the Maplin price, they overcharge for everything, So long as it works and is of decent build quality i'll but it clone or not, but i dont agree with copies being passed off as originals, it does amuse me how people will buy a cheap hardware and moan about the quality expecting it to be as good as something 3x the price.

hey it works and that's good for me

don't get me wrong I wasn't complaining but yes I agree maplin price is expensive so when I saw this I was like wow that's a good price and brought it

and this thread was informative than a complain

after all I make clones myself but defo don't pass them off as legit so for me it don't matter as long as they work

I just thought having atleast 1 legit one would be good for backup and using for intricate things

but then making a clone and buying a clone is pretty much the same price

Do you understand that, if a few folks don't occasionally buy legitimate Arduino products, this forum goes bye-bye?

Interesting, according to this page, there are at least 150 Arduino distributors.
http://store.arduino.cc/eu/index.php?main_page=sell

OTOH, if everybody buys the CN clones for 75% off, I guess the 150 all go out of business.
I have noticed that, for much of the stuff people buy from the ebay CN sites, there is
rarely any support or documentation. This model seems to work for open source stuff like
Arduino, but sure is a big PITN for most everything else.

oric_dan:
Interesting, according to this page, there are at least 150 Arduino distributors.
http://store.arduino.cc/eu/index.php?main_page=sell

OTOH, if everybody buys the CN clones for 75% off, I guess the 150 all go out of business.
I have noticed that, for much of the stuff people buy from the ebay CN sites, there is
rarely any support or documentation. This model seems to work for open source stuff like
Arduino, but sure is a big PITN for most everything else.

I learned my lesson early on as I was/am a sucker for inexpensive Asian E-bay modules, sensors, switching power modules and such. If it's not clear to me from the content of the ad on how to wire it up, software requirements, etc I just won't buy it. I never assume I can get technical help from the seller. You just have to be patient and find the products that have the necessary information attached or linked to make them usable. Other then that I've never had an issue with the quality of the hardware offered and the prices are very hobbyist friendly resulting to way too many impulse buying on my part. :wink:

Lefty

Speaking of suckers, I bought a cheap ethernet shield [mainly as an experiment to
see what I'd get], and it doesn't have a MAC number marked on it.

oric_dan:
Speaking of suckers, I bought a cheap ethernet shield [mainly as an experiment to

run the test sketch and see if that will bring it up

silverfox0786:

oric_dan:

run the test sketch and see if that will bring it up

I don't know anything about ethernet. Can you point me at the sketch you are referring
to. Every sketch I've looked at requires you to already know the MAC value. Thanks.

oric_dan:

Even an authentic ethernet shield poses some questions in the MAC address world. The first three octants indicate the vendor and an authentic has a sticker that is a MAC address (0xDE:0xAD:0xBE:0xEF:0xFE:0xED) registered to Gheo Sa in Switzerland. I would bet that EVERYONE with an authentic Arduino Shield has that same MAC address sticker on the back. It is an Italian computer consultancy outfit that I fail to find the connection with Arduino.

Essentially, the assigned MAC means nothing concerning the hardware. The MAC is not written to any of the chips and as long as they are unique in a network, they will work just fine. The MAC would need to be registered if you attempt to operate on the internet like an internet modem etc. Since, you would be writing the code, you would assign the MAC based on the first three octants that were registered to you and then serialize the next three octants.

---EDIT: Spelling...

Essentially, the assigned MAC means nothing concerning the hardware. The MAC is not written to an of the chips and as long as they are unique in a network, they will work just fine.

Thanks, I had assumed MAC was written into the chips [eeproms].

oric_dan:

Essentially, the assigned MAC means nothing concerning the hardware. The MAC is not written to an of the chips and as long as they are unique in a network, they will work just fine.

after reaserching this that's right you need to burn the mac to the chip

best way to do this cheaply is get an old NIC PCI card and get the mac from that and burn that address to it

then throw away the old PCI card that way you will have a unique address aswell

silverfox0786:

oric_dan:

after reaserching this that's right you need to burn the mac to the chip

What chip? The W5100 chip (used on the official Arduino Ethernet) has no way to store a MAC. You have to supply one in your sketch.

Even an authentic ethernet shield poses some questions in the MAC address world. The first three octants indicate the vendor and an authentic has a sticker that is a MAC address (0xDE:0xAD:0xBE:0xEF:0xFE:0xED) registered to Gheo Sa in Switzerland.

This is in line with my previous comment about lack of support and documentation.
It seems the clone maker of my ethernet shield hasn't registered its products, simply
soldered chips to a cloned board and put it in the mail.