Go Down

Topic: Notepad++ User Defined Language for Arduino (Read 37939 times) previous topic - next topic

ijm51000

Hi Riva,

I have been all round the net expecting it to be complicated, but you where right it's as simple as placing the following in the run command

C:\arduino-1.0.4\arduino.exe $(FULL_CURRENT_PATH)

This added to your extensions list and the SourceCookifier plugin and it is probably as much of a development environment as I need.

I also added the extra commands and they now work.

Thanks for all the help

Ian

Riva

Glad you got it working as you wanted. I noticed CodeBlocks have an Arduino Uploader that can compile & upload arduino sketches. You could maybe get this to work with NPP or switch to using Codeblocks if it meets your needs.
Don't PM me for help as I will ignore it.

ijm51000

Hi Riva,

I have tried CodeBlocks, Eclipse and Atmel studio and a few others, they are good and all have benefits, but by the time you setup a new project it feels like you could have written a new version of windows:)  I am sure if you are working full time on Atmel products these IDE's would have a big advantage and I will probably revisit CodeBlocks as it was the best fit for me.

However at the moment for me using NPP in conjunction with Arduino IDE set to external editor has a lot of benefits in a simple to use setup. 

Keyword highlighting
code folding
own functions, defines, vars listed in a right hand panel which you can jump to with a double click
Run and load Arduino IDE with current file from NPP, which means with a couple of clicks you can setup board type, com port, compile & run
And quite a few more not listed.

Also Arduino 1.5 as you pointed out in a previous post, is on its way with extra features and using the method above; upgrading should not be too big a problem(he says stupidly :-) just change the directory. 

The Arduino IDE is called by a lot of people for lacking this and that feature but does IMHO a very good job of what it is designed to do, hide a lot of tedious detail that would stop a lot of none technical people getting involved in the project, while at the same time letting the user get more and more involved in the more technical details if they so wish.

All the best

Ian

Riva

Yes I also tried codeblocks but for most projects I do on Arduino the NPP/IDE combination suits best. I just hope they don't go the route of processing IDE and remove the 'use external editor' option.

ijm51000

Hi Riva,

Got a bit worried after your last reply and downloaded 1.5.2 just to check you can still use an external editor with that version and the answer is yes, the external editor option is the same as 1.04.

Yesterday I also tried komodo edit as it is cross platform and, quickly managed to get a rough User Defined Language plugin built(cut and paste from NPP), then looked at syntax highlighting at which point it was reconfirmed for me anyway that NPP & Arduino IDE are a good middle ground.

All the best

Ian

C2

Thanks for the work here, I'm going to try this too...

ijm51000

Hi C2,

Things move on so fast, this is a nice middle ground, but you will out grow it.

Have a look at http://www.visualmicro.com/ using atmel studio, it also has a good special offer on the debugger at the moment, it's not perfect but, well worth a look.

All the best

Ian

Riva

Jun 06, 2013, 10:44 am Last Edit: Jun 06, 2013, 06:41 pm by Riva Reason: 1
I have finally updated to using IDE 1.0.5 and the keywords have been updated to match.

larryd

No technical PMs.
The last thing you did is where you should start looking.

Riva

This is just excellent.

It suits most of my needs, especially now I have bothered to add Arduino IDE call to the 'Run' menu. Main bugbear is the insistence of putting the sketch into it's own like named folder so to save I need to create the folder then the sketch within it. I would also like to try Arduino-Builder but it's interface does not work on my main PC for some reason.

cprobertson1

Might be an idea to add the "byte" instruction to the "INSTRUCTION WORD" list ;)

Thanks for the great work!

Riva

Might be an idea to add the "byte" instruction to the "INSTRUCTION WORD" list ;)

Added but not yet tested.

xl97

anyone keeping up with this development?

For the latest IDE versions (anywhere?)  :)

I use NP++ for my web development.. and would like to use it for Arduino IDE/coding as well.

I'll go back and re-read all the directions.. (if there is a current version available?)

Thanks!

Go Up