NORITAKE CU20045-UW4J

Hi members

Thanks for your replys glad to hear this VFD dispaly is usable for the MEGA 2560 ...

I will give it a try in practice next days ..

I also buyed a backpack module for this NORITAKE CU20045-UW4J VFD display
Those displays have also a brightness setup but it will not work by means of a simple potentiometer I thought ?
Because I am not experienced in programming,I thought it must be possible by means of some software commands.
But I do not how to fix this feature in a entire existing program ?
All suggestions are welcome how to fix this feature ...

Kindly regards Jean .

CU20045-UW4J DATASHEET.pdf (441 KB)

Hi there,

Just have a look in your datasheet under 7.7.2. It says that if you set the RS byte to 1, the birghtness control is enabled, and if you control te bits BR0, BR1 you can choose form 4 options of brightness.

Youre right, you need software to control it. Just point to the RS byte, and set the bits to the preferred brightness...

btwesseling:
Hi there,

Just have a look in your datasheet under 7.7.2. It says that if you set the RS byte to 1, the birghtness control is enabled, and if you control te bits BR0, BR1 you can choose form 4 options of brightness.

Read table 7.1 and section 7.7.2 a bit closer.
It's not that simple. You must send the extra control byte immediately after sending a function set command.

on4aef,
The hd44780 library should support that type of display if you put it into serial mode.
You will want to use the hd44780_NTCUUserial i/o class.

The hd44780 library is available in the IDE library manager.
You can read more about it on the hd44780 git hub page: GitHub - duinoWitchery/hd44780: Extensible hd44780 LCD library

The library includes lots of documentation and examples.

--- bill

Thanks

But does it is usable for my NORITAKE CU20045-UW4J VFD display .. ?
I do not understand witch kind of commands I have to give for setup the brightness control of this type of display
The brightness commands must be added to the existing software written for the K3NG CW keyer.
Because I am not a experienced programmer I don't now how to fix this matter ..
This is now just the dedicated question and help I search where and how to fix this matter behind K3NG software
My K3NG cw keyer is running with this type of display and work great just the brightness control is a "litle need"

Kindly regards Jean.

on4aef:
Thanks

But does it is usable for my NORITAKE CU20045-UW4J VFD display .. ?

I can't be sure as I don't have that device. However, from reading the datasheet it appears to be compatible with the other Noritake displays supported by the hd44780_NTCUUserial i/o class when the device is in in serial mode.

The hd44780 library provides a LiquidCrystal compatible API with some extensions, for things like brightness control.
See the documentation for details of the available API functions.

--- bill