Lost my files. And now?

wizdum:
You might want to look into an off-site backup solution, like Carbonite or Crashplan. Or if you don't have a lot of data, Google Drive will let you store 5gb for free.

Everything that I have in my "EE" folder (yeah, I am a hobbiest but I still call the folder EE) including thousands of PDF datasheets, 3 versions of Arduino, all my source code and many downloaded examples, etc, all fit on an 8GB memory stick. That is my backup solution and it works fine. There is no reason not to back this stuff up, it's usually smaller than a decent sized movie file. You can easily keep multiple thumb drives and keep one offsite.

MichaelMeissner:
Not really, you need to think about a tiered support. If files are really important, you want to keep generations of the file, so that you can go back to old versions if you accidently delete or corrupt the file (or make a major mistake in coding, and you want to undo those changes).

Install Visual Source Safe if you have a copy. It's damn simple and the "database" is just a bunch of files themselves you can copy off to a thumb drive.